Chapter 13

Ubbe and Sigurd had tried their best to overcome Queen Lagertha, but it was no use

Ubbe and Sigurd had tried their best to overcome Queen Lagertha, but it was no use. I began to believe that both parties were beginning to see that. That being said, Sigurd did not seem to care about his mother's death anywhere near as much as Ubbe did.

I suppose it was to be expected. Sigurd had always seemingly been ignored by his mother as she "doted on Ivar", he had said. He was bitter still, hurt by the fact he never felt loved by her. And when his father left, he was alone.

However, one day, they would find their courage renewed. And that day was the day their little brother sailed back into Kattegat, escorted by Saxon warriors. Ivar was home, and he brought dire news.

Ragnar Lothbrok was dead.

Now the four sons of Aslaug and Ragnar were orphans. And after losing his father, one could be more than sure Ivar was in the mood to hold grudges against his mother's killer. And it was my assigned duty to try and talk them all out of doing something to Lagertha. Apparently, I was the most qualified. Though I argued that Torvi should go instead. She was far better at dealing with people than I and she knew the Ragnarssons. Nevertheless, it fell to me.

I knocked on the door of the hut they seemed to frequent rather regularly to say that it held only a table and some stools. There was some mumbling from within followed by a faint, "Come in." That sounded like Sigurd.

I pushed the door open and stepped inside. It was almost dark outside and the room was lit by only one candle. The brothers didn't seem to notice how unbearably dark it was, however. Though I suppose that men often lived in such a way. As though their homes were caves.

Even my cave was better lit than this.

"What do you want?" Ivar narrowed his eyes towards me as though he was ready to kill me in that very moment.

Ubbe stood, stepping between his little brother and myself. "Ivar, she helped us." He tried.

Ivar didn't exactly accept that as good enough, which I suppose I could understand. "She is working for Lagertha. She's probably only here so that we don't kill her queen."

"Not everything is as obvious as you think it is Ivar." Sigurd argued, perhaps just for the sake of arguing.

"It is when you're not an idiot, Sigurd." Ivar argued back.

Seemingly increasingly exhausted by their bickering, Ubbe spoke up. "Maybe we should ask her why she's here." He suggested.

Sigurd and Ivar silenced, reluctantly agreeing with their brother's proposal.

"Ivar's right, I've been sent here to stop you from killing Lagertha." I answered honestly.

Sigurd looked to her with a look of slight confusion, "And why would they send you?"

It was a valid question and I'd even asked Lagertha the same thing. I paused, not exactly sure of what to say in return. Why had she sent me? Because I briefly knew Hvitserk and Ivar two years ago? Because I was the one that helped Ubbe and Sigurd escape? I wasn't exactly sure what her angle was, I wasn't even sure why I agreed.

"Because she knows you two won't fall for the Margrethe trick again." Ivar spoke with a scornful tone that made a small grin creep up to my lips.

"I just need to know if you're going to try and kill her." I spoke up with a sigh.

To this, the brothers looked to eachother as if questioning what they should say. Ubbe was the next to speak. "Why should we tell you?" He asked.

"You have no reason to. All I will say is that if you plan to kill her, I wouldn't do it now. Wait until people support you. As it stands, she will kill you." I replied calmly before taking my exit.