Chapter 5

When finally, I reached my home, I was mildly disturbed t see a light shining from within my cave

When finally, I reached my home, I was mildly disturbed t see a light shining from within my cave. Slowly, I reached out for my blade. I made my way inside cautiously, being silent with every step.

After stepping inside, I recognized the boy. Hvitserk. He was staring at the carvings on my wall, when I pushed my dagger up against his back.

"We have got to stop meeting like this." He sighed.

"We have got to stop meeting in general." I responded, pushing the knife against him harder.

He shrugged slightly, and though I couldn't see his face I could sense the smug grin, "What can I say? I like being held at knife point."

"Good. You'll have to start getting used to it if you intend to continue invading my home." I answered.

"Could we talk face to face... Without the knife... Or am I asking too much?" He retorted. Slowly, I moved away and sat down. Rat sat beside me, her beady eyes watching the boy's every move.

"Who's that?" He gestured to my feathered friend as he took a seat opposite me on the floor.

I looked at her before responding, "This is Rat."

"You know that's a Raven, right?" He asked, mildly confused by my choice of names.

I nodded, "I know. She's just annoying like a rat." This seemed to make him smile a little, much to Rat's discomfort.

"Who are you?" He asked.

I paused, unsure how to answer for a moment. Who was I? I was no Prince like him, no royalty. I held no Fame, No glory. I didn't even hold a family name. I couldn't recall it. I was just an orphan with no home. No one knew me. No one remembered me. To the world, I was dead. I'd been dead for many years. And dead I would remain.

"I'm no one." I answered finally. "Just forget you ever saw me."

"You're not no one. Why are you out here? All on your own. Don't you have family? Friends? Anything?" He continued.

I just shook my head with a smile, "Not all of us can be royals, Hvitserk Ragnarsson. This is my home. Rat is the only family I have."

"You found out who I am." He grinned. I only nodded as a reply. "What about friends? You must know someone."

"As for friends, you're the only person I know." I said.

This made him grin again, "So I'm your friend?"

"No." I had answered.

"For what it's worth, I'm a great friend." He spoke again.

I wanted to be annoyed, to continue the straight faced menacing persona, but I also wanted to smile. He was funny, sweet, almost nice to be around, and that I had to admit. Half of me wanted to throw him outside and the other half wanted to sit and talk to him all night.

Night.

It was night time. How was he going to get back to Kattegat in the dark? Wolves, bears, everything would be out there. Not to mention how dangerous the terrain was even during the day. He'd die. Even I, as seasoned as I was in the wilderness, would not make that journey alone at night.

"How do you intend to get home?" I asked, seemingly out of the blue.

He shrugged, "Same way I got here. I'll walk."

"In the dark? Through the forest? Over the moorlands?" I asked.

"I'm starting to get the impression that that's a bad idea." He guessed.

"You'll die." I replied.

"Not necessarily-"

"You'll die." I affirmed.

He leant back against the wall and folded his arms, clearly making himself comfortable although I had not invited him. "Okay," He began. "What would you suggest? That I stay here?"

"No." I instantly replied. "I mean... Maybe. I don't know. All I'm saying is that you'll die out there. That's not my problem."

He pulled a fake frown, again making me both want to laugh and punch him, "And here I thought we were making friends."

"Fine." I grumbled. "You can stay here. But then you're gone and I don't want to see you again."

"Wait, I got you something." He spoke suddenly, almost making me jolt. "It's just another knife. I noticed how much you seem to like them... Especially when I'm around."

This time I couldn't help but let a smile wash over my face as I held the gift in my hands.

"Look at that, she can smile!" He replied.

"Thank you, Hvitserk." I said gently, looking back up at him. I don't think he expected such sincerity as he seemed to shift awkwardly as soon as I looked at him.

"Sure, anytime, just don't stab me with it." He answered.

"I can't make any promises." I grinned. 

****

"Tyri?" I was jolted awake by a familiar voice. Hvitserk. He sounded worried, even scared.

"What?" I exasperated.

He let out a sigh of relief, "You were yelling in your sleep. I thought something had happened."

A deep breath left me, along with the terrors of the traitorous night. This was not uncommon for me. In fact, I had often found myself in such situations. In the day, my troubles and fears disappeared, but in the night they came alive. They screamed and growled into my ear. It was like reliving the death of my parents over and over again. It was still so fresh in my mind, so vivid. I could recall every detail. After all, who could forget such an event? Such a catastrophic moment that changed the very course of my existence.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, my voice raspy from screaming.

He gave me a sympathetic smile, resting his hand upon mine, "Don't be. Do you want to talk about it?"

As I looked up into his clear blue eyes, I wanted nothing more than to tell him everything. I felt vulnerable around someone for the first time since my parents. But just as quickly as that trust and caring came, it was thrust away by the fear. Everyone I was close to died. Wouldn't he be just the same?

I pulled my hand away, avoiding eye contact. "No." I replied. "By first light tomorrow, I will never see you again anyway."

"Oh come on!" He groaned. "I'm not agreeing to that."

"You will agree or I will kill you, understand?" I asked. He nodded sullenly im response. "Good. Now leave me alone." And with that, I walked outside and sat at the cave entrance among the black starry sky.

Ty all for reading my book so far. If you are enjoying it, PLEASE remember to vote on chapters to let me know. Love you all xx

-Rhiannon