Chapter 11

It was a dark night, the clouds gently sweeping past the moon trying to block out its beauty

It was a dark night, the clouds gently sweeping past the moon trying to block out its beauty. I was returning to the Great Hall, my hair gently cascading down my shoulders and my hazel eyes glittering. I'd wanted to ask Lagertha about our plans to attack Kattegat. Actually, I'd wanted more to ask about Bjorn's trip to the Mediterranean... And if I could go too. Although, even if Lagertha agreed, Bjorn most likely wouldn't bring me.

By now, I knew Bjorn fairly well. He often visited Hedeby to see his mother and so, everytime he did, I talked to him. It seemed, he too knew my parents. He grew up around them. In fact, he even knew me when I was a small child. And it was for all those reasons that I knew he'd never take me to the Mediterranean.

I'd been training to become a shieldmaiden for two years. But that was nowhere near enough. Some had trained their entire lives and still died in their first battle. And I knew everyone in Hedeby doubted me. Moreover, I knew of Bjorn's little sister. Of Gyda. Lagertha had often told me that sometimes I'd reminded her of her daughter. That if Gods had lived, we would've been great friends. And, though I did not know the girl, I felt a strong connection to her. I wanted to carry her name with respect, to let her memory live on. But for Bjorn and Lagertha, I think it was still difficult. Even after all those years, how could one ever get over such a tragedy?

I walked up to the great hall, ignoring the voices from within. The door hung slightly ajar, so I stood in the doorway peering into the hall. My eyes watched in awe at the sight before me. Lagertha was sat beside an old man with a familiar face. He looked as though years of stress and trauma had aged him unnaturally, and his years were now numbered. He was bald, with a large beard and ragged clothing. Tattoos circled his head, but they were by no means his most prominent feature. That would have to be his eyes, an a electric blue colour like the ocean in a storm. It seemed Thor himself lived inside the man's eyes. And that's when I recognized him.

I'd seen those eyes before. I'd seen them in Kattegat when I was wandering the woods and stumbled into a boy. I'd seen them in my home when a young crippled prince decided to intimidate me. I'd seen them in a man I'd known for all my life but only met two years ago. But most importantly, most recognizably, I'd seen them as a little girl in Ragnar Lothbrok.

I slipped on the door as I gasped, making it creak loudly. Both Lagertha, and then I'd now deduced was King Ragnar, looked up at me.

"Tyri." Lagertha greeted. I smiled, sending them both a small shy wave as I tried to hide myself behind the door. "Ragnar, this is Tyri. She is-"

"I know who she is." Ragnar interrupted gently. "It's been a long time since I last saw you, hasn't it?"

"Twelve years." I answered.

"Look at how much you've grown. Your parents would be so proud." He smiled.

In all my memories of Ragnar, he seemed so much stronger and bolder. The man I saw now did not seem like the man we all knew. Perhaps he was making up for lost time, or perhaps this was a final goodbye.

"Tyri came from Kattegat two years ago. She'd been surviving out in the woods since Ulf and Thora passed and everyone thought she was dead. Somehow she survived. Since she's been with us, she's been training to become a shieldmaiden." Lagertha explained.

"I think she'll make a fine warrior one day. Perhaps she'll even rival you." Ragnar laughed, looking towards his ex wife who smiled at me fondly.

"Did you need something, Tyri?" Lagertha spoke again finally.

I simply shrugged, a small smile on my lips. "It's not important. Good night, both of you." I answered before walking out into the brisk air.

As a girl I'd heard stories of Ragnar and Lagertha. Was their relationship not everything one could want? Even after Ragnar had married Queen Aslaug, everyone knew he loved Lagertha. And she still loved him. I just hoped that someday they would find their happy ending. Be it in Midgard or Folkvangr.