#58 - Strike a Deal

"So this is the place?" [Y/n] questioned, looking over at Laion.  The boy nodded his head, finally closing the distance between them and the doors.

    "State your business," one of the four guards, Zeron, demanded.  Laion didn't know much of the man other than his fiery temper and his notoriety when it comes to fights.  Laion, certainly not wanting to get on his bad side, dipped his head respectfully.

    "[Y/n] requests an audience with the king," he hummed.  Zeron's eyes narrowed as he watched [Y/n], before he clicked his tongue.  Laion didn't want them to stay there any longer than they had to - the heavy gaze of Zeron on [Y/n] unnerved him more than it did her.  Eventually, Zeron let out a snort of laughter. 

    "The king?  See a human?  You've got to be kidding me," he laughed dryly.  "You're one of those six kids, aren't ya?"  He took a threatening step forwards.  "You think you can beat an elite, pipsqueak?"  Laion respectfully shook his head.

    "I don't want any trouble," he said softly.  "The king wrote [Y/n] a contract and some of the terms were unclear, so she wishes to get a better understanding of what is expected of her," Laion explained.  [Y/n] was shocked that he was trying so hard for her.  She'd expected him to turn around the second Zeron had laughed. 

    "Oh yeah?  And why should I believe you?  That thing's a human.  For all we know, she's gonna try do something weird to the king like she did to Nyais," Zeron snorted.  Someone cleared their throat from behind him; [Y/n] peered over his shoulder to see a man who looked quite familiar - cropped brown hair and reddish-brown eyes.  Zeron turned to look at his superior with wide eyes.  Rarely did the man speak.

    "Allow her entrance, Zeron," he spoke calmly, his voice authoritative yet gentle. 

    "But General—"

    "Now," the 'general' responded, staying fixed to his post with little intention of moving.  Zeron hung his head. 

    "Just because his friend's your son," he grumbled under his breath with a cold glare directed towards Laion.  Laion stepped forwards beside [Y/n] as Zeron opened the doors, though he was quickly stopped.  The brunet who'd allowed them entrance now had his hand on Laion's shoulder, his grip tight and imposing. 

    "Was it not [Y/n] alone who sought for an audience with His Royal Highness?" the man asked.  Laion paused.  He'd heard a lot about him - Erda was his name.  The general.  Rayne hated him for some reason.  Rayne hated a lot of people though, so it wasn't too much of a surprise.  [Y/n] looked over her shoulder as Zeron ushered her inside, trying to hide the relief from her expression as Laion was prevented from joining her.  Slowly, the doors closed behind her - a lachrymose creak calling out into the room like a mournful wail - and she turned to stare down the hall.  King Olli sat on his throne, twirling a strand of his long silver hair in one hand.  He ceased the action at the sound of the doors closing, getting to his feet.  [Y/n] curtsied immediately.

    "[Y/n].  It's good to see you again," Olli hummed, much to [Y/n]'s surprise.  "How are you holding up?"  His tone of speaking was far more casual than it had been the first time they'd met.  She raised her head to meet his gaze.

    "Um... I've been... better," she said quietly. 

    "And I assume your toils are what bring you here today?" he questioned, though his voice was absent of any interrogation.  She nodded.  "I see."

    "Please..." she whispered.  "I can't live with them any longer.  I need to escape... please help me!' [Y/n] cried out, all her fear and emotion coming out at once.  When she realised just how loud she'd been one hand shot over her mouth.  "I- I'm sorry," she added quietly, bowing her head in shame.