Chapter 9

You wished the sun would never rise, you wished it would stay behind the mountains where it would be safe from him. Wishful thinking, he burned brighter than any star out there. And his gravitational pull was immense, trapping you in his orbits. It's been a week since he has taken you, and you spent most of the week hiding inside your room. At times, he would disappear off into the shadows. You didn't know where the shadows led him, but at the same time, you didn't want to know.

But while he was away, Areum allowed you to roam the house, but warned that his room upstairs was off-limits. "There's something incredibly important to him in there." she explained. You couldn't imagine the monster caring about anyone but himself. And not that you particularly cared, you had no intention of going anywhere near it in the first place.

Every corner you turned, men in sunglasses guarded entryways and exits. You were like a mouse in a trap. The nice part, if you could even consider it as a nice, was that he had stocked his library with books that might interest you. Ranging from fictions, to inspirational, to business strategies. Along with those books, there were volumes of books from Shakespeare, Robert Frost, Edgar Allan Poe, Ayn Rand. It seemed that Hoseok was a lover of literature. It fitted his character of a villain, lurking in the dark and reading about the world.

Nonetheless, you picked up Pachinko and sat down by the cushioned window sills. Areum said the young Master had this room specifically designed for you. While it was supposed to make your heart flutter, it sent chills down your spine instead. It meant that taking you was intentional and he had been planning on keeping you here even before he came to town. You figured it was related to his statement of you needing to remember. After rummaging through your mind, you couldn't figure out what it is that he wanted you to remember because you had never seen Hoseok before until he came to school that day. He's messed up, you thought, utterly messed up.

It was easy to read, to get lost in the book so that you couldn't think about your life right now. Thinking back, it was that one mistake of being curious that led you here. If you had just gone home, if you had just listened to Seokjin and been careful about your surroundings. Seokjin, tears filled your eyes as you thought about the brother whom you might never see again. Even if a miracle happened and you somehow escape from this hell in one piece, you wouldn't be able to find the courage to go back home. He was hurt, believing that you would leave him and his home without any further explanations. He must have felt betrayed. You really were just bad luck, it was probably better that you weren't around his family anymore.

The sun descended soon, as if it was hiding from the monster it knew was coming home soon. Fearing that as well, you quickly put the book back and retreated back to your room. Although the room was meant for you, you didn't want him to find you in it. Because that would mean you have given in to his demands and given up on trying to escape. That was never going to happen, you will never stop resenting him.

But to your surprise, he wasn't there at dinner. You were partly glad of his absence, but at the same time, it meant that he was there doing harm to the world. The thought made you shiver, you didn't want anyone else to be hurt because of him.

"He has a meeting in the city, it's part of the routine." Areum said as she placed the plate of food before you. "You don't need to worry."

"I'm not worried." you said right away, to assert the fact that you would never care about the safety of that cold-hearted man. Areum chuckled lightly.

"Yes, of course." she remarked before gliding back to her corner. It felt strange to be eating at the long dining table by yourself. Staring that the other end, it felt cold and dark. For some reason, you still didn't find comfort in the fact that he wasn't here. After dinner, you decided that it was safe to go back to the library to finish a chapter. You were immersed in the storyline when the front door slammed and lazy laughter filling the interior. Gingerly, you peered out from the door and saw that it was Hoseok.

But he was not alone. Snaked around his body was a slender woman with smeared red lipsticks. She whispered something into an intoxicated Hoseok and he laughed. Then he proceeded to kiss her neck. The sight made you gagged. The fact that he was drunk, and he had the audacity to bring someone home. When you tried to go back to the library, the door let out a squeak, causing the couple to turn their heads towards you.

"Fuck," you whispered.

"Who's there?" Hoseok yelled out. From his voice, it was clear that he was annoyed that anyone would dare interrupt his fun.

You peaked your head out once again, slowly. "Sorry, go back to whatever you're doing."

Hoseok scoffed, "Oh, it's just you."

That was offensive, "Yes, it's just me," you answered. "The person you kidnapped and is stuck here for the rest of her life because you are a sadistic monster."

Hoseok rolled his eyes, the girl beside him didn't seem to care much for what you just said. All she cared about was the money she would receive from him in the morning. "Oh, just shut the hell up." he groaned.

"No, I will not shut the hell up." you yelled back, making your way towards them. The first mistake. "Does she know what you do for a living? Does she know how many people you've killed? Did you give her money so that she would treat you like a person?"

His jaws visibly clenched as he glared at you. "Go to your fucken room now, or else I will do something that you hate." Without waiting for you to move, Hoseok grabbed the girl roughly on the arm and pulled her up the stairs. Your mouth hung open, why did that sight make your heart hurt?