Chapter 16: Deaf

"Here, try this beef! It's excellent!" Julia passed a fresh piece of it into Emily's plate, and Rebecca helped poured pumpkin juice into her bronze goblet

Emily knew they were all trying to make her feel better. She smiled at all of them, grateful that they had all stuck with her when she was in a crying mess.

"Cheers!" Connor smashed his drink with hers and drops of orange liquid spilled onto the table.

"Oh, I found another cup next to you! I think one of the slytherins left it there accidentally - you can have it!" Rebecca passed the goblet and Emily gulped it down.

She was feeling much better. They were hanging around in the middle of April, and Emily was such in a good mood because just this morning, she helped Professor Dumbledore with loads of stuff and earned twenty points for hufflepuff.

"Ugh.. Potions after this, honestly, that particular class had ruined our day!" Chloe wailed and ate a chunk of meat greedily.

"Agreed," Julia drank another cup, swallowing the orange contents. Emily played with the metal spoon, flipping it over on the head and got lost into her own thoughts.

After that valentine's incident, she had practically gave up, but that didn't meant she hated or disliked Tom. Emily missed him a lot, but hadn't made any attempt to go back to him for she knew it wouldn't end good.

"Emily!" Chloe shouted in her ears so loudly that she flinched back, "I've been calling you for the fifth time! What are you thinking about?"

"Huh? You called me?"

"Yes! What's wrong?" she asked, worried.

"Nothing.. I just didn't heard you. Honestly, I didn't."

"That's a bit weird.. But do you want another cup?" she handed her another goblet.

The water churned in her stomach. "No thanks," Emily waved it off and continue to wonder. What had happened? She was sure that no one had called her..

They packed their things up and head down to the dungeons all together. The lights down there was extremely pretty that she stopped and ran her fingers through it, even if she knew that she couldn't possibly catch light.

"I might as well puke in my own cauldron.." Chloe grumbled, stomping loudly to create the loud noises. They were all obviously late, because they had spent time cheering their goblets together.

Connor helped pushed open the door and the five of them face the class, feeling awkward.

Professor Slughorn frowned at all of them, displeased, "What in Merlin's name have you all been doing?"

Emily felt Julia nudging by the arm and she looked at her in a questioning way. "What?" she whispered.

"You're the best at excuses.. Go on, say something."