Chapter 37: Dance Steps

Emily focused on the neatly handwritten chalk-writing on the blackboard, writing furiously on her parchment till her quill was trembling in her hands

"Almost there..." she mumbled and let out a huge sigh of relief after she was done.

"Attention, students," Slughorn paced in front of them, beaming brightly as if the whole class had miraculously managed to do the extremely difficult potion perfectly.

"I'm sure everyone here knows who Abelle Marchand is, right?"

Emily stared at the plump professor, then to the rest of the class, trying to get answers but everyone seemed just as confuse as she was.

"Dear me.. Abelle Marchand! That famous waltz dancer at France! Attended Beauxbatons six years before her extremely successful career," he shook his head in disappointment, but there was still the same big grin plastered on his face.

"And?" a hufflepuff leaned forward at her desk, eager to hear the exciting news.

"And of course Professor Dippet had invited her to Hogwarts. In her welcome, we will be holding a ball on the last week of February, showing absolute respect towards the art of dancing and also to lighten the mood for the students who are struggling for their exams. "

"A ball!" everyone exclaimed, surprised, and left a wave of tingling sensation in their stomachs. A student shot his hand up, waving it frantically in the air.

"Do boys get to take the girls?"

Slughorn smiled. "Yes, boys must find their dates, and girls - it's time for all of you to go shop for a dress, hm?"

More squeals and excitement. Emily started thinking of it, and tried remembering the clothing shops at Hogesmade, but she couldn't recall any.

"Now now, class dismiss!"

She ran out of the classroom, huffing and panting, till she reached the Great Hall where her friends had gather. Emily blabbered on with the news and the three of them jumped around,  enthusiastic for the ball.

"We hadn't had one in twenty years! Dear me, could you believe our luck?" Chloe balled her fists, squeezing her cheeks.

"But.. We need a date, don't we?" Connor spoke, looking at them with a half eaten omelette on his spoon.

"Yeah..." Emily's voice faltered, "I'm sure we all do... But I don't know how to dance!"

"I can teach you," Connor offered, grinning widely, "If you want to -"