Chapter 32: Voices For Flowers

The summer holiday started and Emily was travelling at Italy, just to visit her father's grave

The summer holiday started and Emily was travelling at Italy, just to visit her father's grave. Her mother and her stopped by a muggle restaurant in the middle of a lonely street, where a light yellow light bulb was flickering near the shop.

"Let's eat dinner here... Then we'll go visit your father's grave," Mrs Vance smiled at her daughter, then crossed the road.

It wasn't a very big shop, but inside was crowded with people that lived nearby. They finally got a table and sat down across each other, scanning the menu.

"Let's see.. Do you want to try the fusilli pasta? It's your father's favorite dish.." her mother lost her focus and stared at the book.

Emily put her hands on her mother's, smiling, "Of course I would like to."

Mrs Vance almost teared up at the sight of her. "Oh... I've almost forgot that you're fifteen already. You looked like a woman now.. A beautiful, young woman. Say, how many boys have chased you already?"

She laughed quietly, "None."

"What about Tom? Doesn't he like you?" her mother leaned closer.

"He doesn't like me," she forced a smile. And not to mention that he doesn't love anyone at all. He has a lot of temporary girlfriends too, mom. They're all powerful slytherins girls that annoy me. Yeah, that's probably it.
She said that all in her mind.

"Oh all right.. I would've like him to be my son in law," Mrs Vance said sarcastically and went back to the menu.

"Mom. I'm fifteen,"she made an excuse.

"Yes, yes... I think I'll have the veronese pizza," she beckoned the waitress over and Emily had almost took out her wand to accio the plates nearby.

"Dear me, you've got yourself a fine arse! When I was fifteen, mine looked as flat as a pancake, you know.." her mother laughed to herself.

"Mother! You're overreacting about my body... I know it looked like a woman's one now.." Emily glanced uneasily at her chest.

"You're very, very beautiful," Mrs Vance rested her chin on her hand.

"I'm not.. I'm not really that popular at Hogwarts. I don't want to be," Emily sighed, "And mom? I'm going to be a prefect."

"You never told me!" she said in astonishment.

"Because I'm a little distracted..." Emily looked down at her table, squeezing her toes together.

"Honey, what's wrong? Do tell me.." Mrs Vance looked worriedly at her.

"Tom stopped writing to me. I don't what he's up to, what's he thinking anymore! He's suspicious all the time, wandering about Hogwarts late at night.."

"Don't worry.. He's the most smartest student, isn't he? He won't be doing trouble."

"I hope so.." and she wolfed down her pasta, slurping the sauce greedily. Mrs Vance laughed, then cut her pizza in pieces.

********
"Mom.. Is this the place? Its getting dark, you know. Aunt Mary is waiting for us back at the little apartment that we stayed for four weeks," Emily trudged along the soil and pushed some trees aside.

"Yes.. Almost there.." Mrs Vance murmured to herself, lost in thoughts.

They walked a bit more and her mother stopped in her tracks, looking longingly in front of her.

"Mom?"

Mrs Vance took her hand and the both of them walked in a wild patch of blue, brunnera flowers. There in the middle of it, was a tall tombstone. Her mother walked slowly to it, her shoes crunching on the dry leaves.

Emily watched her mother took the surroundings in, and her eyes fell onto the tombstone. She kneeled in front of it, brushing the rough surface with her knuckles.

"Mom, are you all right?" Emily kneeled quietly beside her.

"I forgot how warm his lips were... The smell of his clothes, that charming smile he always gave me when I do something stupid.. Its all starting to fade away.."

She said nothing in return. The pain she felt must've been unbearable. Then after for a little while of silence, Emily heard her mother sobbing.

"Mom... What's wrong.."

"I missed him a lot, Emily, I really missed him.." she sobbed again, wiping her tears away. Her daughter held her mother in her arms and she sat there, listening to her cries.

"I know. Its all right, mom.. Everything's alright.."

"I'm so sorry that I had to break down in front of you like that. There's nothing to worry about me.." Mrs Vance pulled away, tearing her gaze away from the tombstone.

"It's a bit empty here... Shall we go grow some flowers?"

"What? Grow flowers?" Emily looked incredulously at her, "It'll take weeks!"

"I know you can grow flowers just with your voice. Don't you?"

"Yes well.. You can do it too, right?"

Her mother nodded her head. "Yes I can.. It was because of your father...it started happening after I started to sing for him.. With my heart. I think it ruins in your veins too."

Emily smiled and took her mother's hands once again, "Then let's sing that song. That camelian flower song. Both of us knew it by heart."

They hear each other's melodious voices, and it felt like everything turned into spring. Emily heard the trees rustled, the squirrels scurrying on the dry leaves, and the rise of each other, pushing their little green stems out of the soil, filling the spacious area around them.

"It's beautiful," Mrs Vance gasped as she opened her eyes.

"I know,"Emily beamed at her mother, burying her face into her arms," Mom.. I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"I'm scared of love. I'm scared for Tom. What if he does something bad? What if doesn't listens to me-"

"Listen. Listen to it."

"Listen to what?" she raised her head a little.

"Your heart. What does it says?"

"I'm afraid it's as confuse as I am. Very unsure and confuse, mother," she lowered her gaze and closed her eyes.