Part 7

I fly Abraxos back to the camp just after noon, having spent the morning exploring and assessing the city, seeing just how bad the damage truly is.

It's bad.

No one says anything about my absence last night, though I can feel questions burning beneath Bronwen's tongue as I walk up to her and Glennis's fire. Instead, she just nods to me as I sit down on a log around it.

There's something cooking over the top of it, and I eagerly serve myself as a wave of hunger hits me. I eat everything in the bowl quickly, then serve myself more, before turning to my companions, who are watching me silently.

"I assume you spent the morning assessing the damage on our city," Bronwen says, also serving herself some food.

"Among other things," I shrug.

Glennis is watching me as though she knows exactly what those 'other things' were. As if she know's about the Thirteen, and that i spent the night crying. It makes me uncomfortable, so I snap, "What?"

"You're eating again," Glennis says nonchalantly. I don't reply, not feeling inclined to talk.

There's a moment of silence, then Glennis asks, "How bad is the city, Manon?"

"It's been in ruin for 500 years," I reply. "It's bad."

Glennis nods. "I thought as much."

"We should start by clearing away some of the rubble," I continue, the food clearing away the fog in my head left by my lack of sleep last night. How have I eaten so little, for so long?

"How long do you think that'll take?" Petrah asks, appearing from somewhere deep in the camp.

"A while," I reply cryptically. Truth is, I don't know. It could take anything from a week to a few months, and rebuilding could take years. "The damage is extensive," I continue. "We'll have to turn this camp into something more permanent whilst we rebuild. We need to organise into two groups, and we can start the rebuilding efforts after lunch."

When I look up, they're all staring at me strangely. "What?" I snap.

"Nothing," Glennis says, and they disperse, following the orders from their queen.