Part 40

I wake up suddenly, lying still on the bed. Above my, sunlight filters through the canvas of the tent, and I can hear the camp wide awake around me. I rest my hands on my stomach, still exhausted. How long have I been asleep?

Outside the tent, someone clears their throat, and it takes me a moment to realise they're addressing me. "My Queen?"

I force myself to sit, then stand. I'm still in the same clothes as yesterday, but I don't particularly care. "Come in," I say, my voice croaking. I clear my throat from the tiredness. A young witch enters, just one, holding a tray. She bows awkwardly, the tray hindering her movements. When I realise it's just her, I sit back down onto the bed.

"My Queen," she repeats, "Glennis asked me to bring you some food."

I  nod, indicating her to bring it to me. She does, then steps back, obviously nervous. I don't dismiss her, waiting to see if she'll just leave, but she doesn't. Good. I watch her carefully, and she shifts nervously.

"You're Crochan?" I finally ask, between mouthfuls. She nods. She looks like she's sixteen, but she must be older. "Age?" I ask.

"76," she replies. Young for a witch.

"Did you fight in Orynth?" 

She nods, looking suddenly haunted. She says, "It was my first battle." She pauses, then continues, "Do wars like that happen often?"

"Wars happen all the time," I say carefully, then add, "But not often ones of that magnitude, and, apparently, demon wars only happen every 2 thousand years." I pause, eating again. After a moment, I ask, "What's your name?"

"Marissa," she replies nervously.

"What was the witch yesterday called?" 

She knows immediately who I mean. "Liron," she says, and I nod silently, thinking.

"Do you know how many other witches share her opinion?"

She pauses. "Not many. And, after what you said..." she trails off, glancing at my stomach, then seems to realise herself, and carries on. "I don't think many others agree with her anymore."

Finished eating, I hand her back the tray. "Thank you. You may leave."

With a final bow, she exits the tent, leaving me with much to think about.