Part 47

In the short amount of time it takes to get to Adarlan,  the symptoms of my pregnancy become much more intense, and all I want to do is collapse into bed. I get up early to hide the morning sickness from Dorian, but that just makes me more exhausted. Traveling doesn't help. It's like my wyvern is the only one who knows I'm suffering, not that it's nothing I can't handle. I've been in worse conditions and survived.

We arrive at Adarlan a few days later. As we walk into the palace, people dressed in ridiculous amounts of finery rush up to Dorian, trying to get him to engage in conversation about I don't know what. Preoccupied, I don't pay them any attention until Dorian pulls me to the side and says, "I know we've been travelling, but apparently there's some banquet that I have to attend. It would be good if you attended as well, but if you're too tired-"

I cut him off with a glare. "Of course I'm going," I say, rolling my eyes, though it sounds like the worst thing in the world. Why, exactly, would I want to spend even a minute in a room full of snivelling courtiers that I know will be there? Witch culture is much simpler.

I follow Dorian into the massive hall, not bothering to change out of my dirty clothes. I'm to large to wear anything else, anyway.

Everyone stands and bows as Dorian enters. I make sure to be at his side, and can feel many curious eyes upon me. When he tries to take my hand, I avoid it, instead making my way to the high table at the back of the room. The sooner this is over with, the better.

I make a point of sitting beside Dorian, ignoring the lords that try to lead me to the other side of the table. As if those humans can tell the Queen of the Witches what to do. Next to me sits a beaming healer with a baby in a sling across her chest. I recognise her from Orynth as Yrene, Chaol's wife. I smile at her politely, making sure to keep my Ironteeth retracted, but it looks like more of a grimace.

Dorian is immediately immersed in conversation with the Lords vying for his attention, and I'm left with nothing to do. When I catch one of the younger looking courtier staring at my, I snap my teeth down and smile at him menacingly. The scent of his fear is delicious in this stuffy room.

Someone taps my arm politely and I realise the healer was trying to talk to me. "Are you alright?" she asks.

"Yes," I say haughtily. I can't believe I actually have to engage with these people. My hand go automatically to my stomach, and I curse myself a moment later when Yrene notices. My pregnancy is the last thing I want to discuss, especially with a healer.

"Oh, you're pregnant?" she says smiling, cradling the child at her chest. "Dorian's child, I assume?"

How observant is she? "Yes," I simply reply.

"How nice," she says. "Y'know, I've only just had my baby, a son of course. I assume Dorian's told you lots about him." He had, but it didn't stop the healer for talking non-stop about her child for what seemed like an hour.

Suddenly, she stops, watching me closely. "Are you sure you're alright? You look exhausted."

"I'm fine," I snap, rather harshly. 

She's not convinced. "I hear witch and fae pregnancies can be difficult." She pauses. "I think you should retire."

I don't deign to reply, instead glaring at her. I turn to Dorian, but he's still talking to someone else, so I have no choice but to turn back to the healer. I'm not going to retire, and she should stop pressing a subject that clearly doesn't need to be breached.

However, Yrene won't take no for an answer. She leans around me, and says to Dorian, "Your Majesty?"

He turns from the lord he's talking to, a smile on his mouth but irritation in his eyes. "Yes?" he says pleasantly.

"I think Manon and I should retire," she says.

Immediately, concern replaces the irritation in Dorian's eyes, but I say, "I'm fine," slightly louder than necessary. "I don't need humans deciding my life for me."

I know I say it like an insult, but I don't care. There's still concern in Dorian's eyes, and, if I'm honest, I am tired. I sigh, standing. "Fine, I'm leaving," I say, not hiding the irritation in my voice. I take a step and then turn back to Dorian. "I've only ever been to your rooms from the outside of the palace."

He rises as well, ignoring the protests of the lords, and follows me out of the room. To my surprise, as soon as we're out of ear shot down a hallway, he sighs and rubs his face. "Thanks for that."

"For what?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

Dorian smiles. "For getting me out of there. They annoy the hell out of me."

Despite myself, I smile back, but then a wave of dizziness hits me and I lean against the wall. Gods, I'm exhausted. Dorian's immediately at my side, fussing, and I shake him off. "I'm fine,"  I snap, "Just tired. Where are your rooms, then?"

"Here," Dorian says, and I follow him through the castle up to his bedroom. 

It's a mess, but I don't care. I practically fall onto his bed, narrowly avoiding a pile of books. I look up, and see that there are books literally everywhere. It seems like being king hasn't prompted him to clean his room. Sprawled on the bed, I kick off the pile nearest me onto the floor.

"Oi!" Dorian exclaims, picking them up from the floor and placing them on another pile, balanced precariously. If it tips over, I'll laugh. 

When I don't say anything, he turns to me. I'm half asleep already. "Are you alright?" he asks.

"I'm fine," I say yet again. It feels like that's the only thing I've said for an hour. I can't be bothered to take off my clothes as I curl up under the cover of his bed.

Dorian doesn't look convinced, but doesn't press as he changes and gets into bed beside me. "Manon?" he says, but I'm not in the mood. I silence him by pulling his arm over me. He keeps on acting so surprised by this that I'm almost offended. Exhausted, I fall asleep as soon as I close my eyes.

----------------------------------------------------

HI peoples.

How is this for chapter length?

I'm sorry if it's a bit boring, it'll make sense in the next part. Also sorry it's a bit late, but I was on half term and couldn't be bothered to update this lol.

The next part is super long so it'll either be a really long part or i'll split it into a couple. I'm still writing it so it's probs gonna be late again, soz. :)