Part 39

After the fight, I can barely walk back to my tent before collapsing onto the cot. I'm exhausted from everything I've done today, especially the fight. I never  get so tired after using so little energy. It's infuriating.

I lie still on the bed, not sleeping, content in my isolation. I let myself contemplate this pregnancy, truly think about it. Witch pregnancies are tough, but I'm strong, much stronger than the average witch. Maybe I might have to use a little less energy, but I can't imagine it'll be that bad. I run my hands over my stomach, and the bump there. I wonder what gender the baby will be. Will it be a witch, like me, or male, like Dorian? I wonder what Dorian wants, although knowing him, he probably doesn't care, as long as they're healthy, or other soppy nonsense.

With a start, I realise this is the first time I've thought about Dorian since leaving Adarlan a few days ago. In all the chaos of arriving back here, and the fight, I completely forgot about him! I try to stand, pushing myself up, but a wave of light-headedness hits me, and I have to lie back down again. Damn.

After a few minutes, I stop trying to get up. There's not much I can do about Dorian anyway - if I went off to Adarlan, I could miss him again. And, if I'm completely honest with myself, I'm on no fit state to travel. I'm exhausted. Maybe this pregnancy will be harder than I thought.

Eventually, I fall asleep. I dream that I'm standing at the top of a mountain, far above everything else. All around me are clouds, and the occasional other peak far in the distance. I turn around, and realise I'm standing in snow.

Behind me is an empty wooden cabin, with no windows, just a door. From it, a faint crying sounds, a baby's crying. I stalk towards the door, the cold not affecting me, and pull on the handle. I can't get in,  no matter how hard I push and tear and snarl at the door. The more I try to move the door, the more stuck it gets, and the louder the baby cries, but, alone on the top of a mountain, there's nothing I can do.