6. Library pt.2

Gareth's POV

I was in my office looking for 'Men without women' by Haruki Murakami, the book which mother recommend to me a long time ago. I know very well that she was not trying to mock me about my broken marriage by recommending this book. In fact, she wants me to get married again, but for me, it's not as easy as it may appear.

Three years of devotion and treating her like the goddess of my temple, she didn't even care to notice the range of my love for her. Our marriage was planned like a business deal between my father's friend and his company. The careless attempts to make two people close surely didn't work in our case. While I wholeheartedly abided my mother's request, her virtue of freedom seemed to be bounded by my presence.

My mother still blames herself for the scar she left on my mind, because to her I was simply showing my love for my mother as I allowed another woman to rule over my heart's territory. I promised to give her everything she desired while that little silly friend in her chest still longed for a different partner. I don't even blame her for leaving, because at the end of the day, I was just fulfilling my mother's aspiration.

Well, I was never a fan of reading but I used to read the books my mother recommended. Though I understand what reading embarks in me, I appreciate her attempt to provide me a better habit. But still I didn't take reading as an option but as a responsibility, until my fondness grew. Being the eldest son, I've always been obedient to all my parents' wishes and orders.

My younger brother, however, was a free bird, my exact opposite. Other than our greyish eyes, nothing is similar. It's a true that 'parents focus on the first child so much that they don't have anything left for their younger one.' So, they just set the younger rascals free. Not by choice though. Just like my brother, Trevor. He's been much freer and apparently more careless than me. Though he's my opposite but because he's my brother I have to love him. Even if I don't want to.

I was not in a mood to do anymore paperwork so, reading a book seemed the best option. After looking for the book in my office I came on a conclusion that I might have left it in the library. So, I stood up and decided to go on a searching spree for it as I looked at the clock before going out; because it was almost a quarter past six, in the evening, the library would be locked.

Taking the spare keys from the little key cupboard, I went away. Having the privilege of being given a spare key to almost every room in the school, just in case I need to use them, I can basically go anywhere I want, which I usually do after the last dorm check is conducted, so as to avoid unnecessary questions from teachers.

Yes, because, I had just joined, all the teachers never leave me alone, assuming I might need help with the new things, taking into consideration my sudden shift from being the chief executive officer of a multinational company to the principal of a school. Although my work load has doubled, I have been able to manage it fairly well.

Being the principal, I have to shifted in the school premises. My mom, when she was the principal here, also used to stay here taking care of the students. When she fell ill, she gave me the responsibility of taking over as the principal, because she thought that I was the best candidate for the job. I felt good as it gave me a hint of the inbuilt trust my mom had on me but I was also nervous taking up a job, I have absolutely nil experience in.

And I've promised, not to let her down.

I made my way to the library, seeing the night setting in and simultaneously dominating the daylight. Weather was cold and a chilly breeze brushed my skin giving me light shivers, even though I was wearing my beige high neck solid sweater with a pair of cream casual trousers. Fiddling with the keys in my hand I walked down the garden stairs which lead to the library corridor.