23. An expensive thank you.

CJ was the first one upstairs with Duncan just behind him and greeted his uncles with a radiant smile. "Dad and I hope we can see the Giants, Cubs game downstairs," he immediately asked.

"Sure," Jason nodded. "What time does it start?"

"At seven," Duncan grumbled.

"Bad mood?", Conner informed while frowning at his brother.

"Sometimes there's no reasoning with that man," Duncan said. "I'm glad Karen was able to book a flight earlier."

Jason followed the conversation as he hugged CJ who then took his bag to his room.

"What wasn't right this time?", Conner inquired with a sharp look.

Duncan's eyes flashed at Jason before he cleared his throat. "Oh, you know Dad, he doesn't need much reason."

Jason quickly came to the same conclusion as Conner. "You told him I'm sharing the studio with Conner."

Duncan turned to Jason. "I know I'm not the subtlest when it comes to you and your friends, but the nonsense that man was uttering made me feel deeply ashamed. I don't want to expose my own son to that."

Jason looked grateful at him. "How's Maude?"

"You call my mom by her first name?", Conner interrupted them with astonishment. "I didn't know you knew each other so well. How do you address my father?"

"Not as Patrick, I can assure you," Jason scuffed. "I was asked by your mother at our first meeting to name her Maude." He smiled at the memory. "She's one of the warmest people I've ever met."

Duncan took a seat. "Believe me, the feeling is mutual. She was very happy with the photo album you gave her. In the suitcase are presents for you and Conner."

Conner raised his eyebrows when he heard about a photo album.

"I'm going to have a look right away," Jason said curiously.

"What kind of photo album?", Conner asked his brother as soon as Jason was out of earshot.

"Mom has a display cabinet where she keeps all our pictures."

Conner nodded.

"On each visit, Jason sends or takes a photo album. I'm sure you've seen them."

"That's right," Conner said, mindful. "Is that why Dad got angry?"

Duncan sighed.

"Jason is very aware of our father's disapproval and carefully keeps himself out of the photos. This time Karen insisted that a picture of you, CJ and Jason together was added." His lips tightened. "Mom was so proud, but Dad...? With every story CJ told about you and Jason, he became redder."

Conner sucked in air through his teeth. "Does he know I'm sleeping with Jason?"

"Oh heavens, no!" Duncan exclaimed. "I said that your recovery is progressing well and that the new treatment is catching on."

Relieved, he blew out. "Good. The less I'm associated with Jason the better."

Karen felt how Jason froze next to her. Together they overheard the remark Conner made. The pain in his eyes confirmed her suspicion. "You're in love with him, aren't you?"

"I don't take this kind of abuse from just anyone," he said trying to hold back his tears. "But I'm at my limit, Karen."

His unspoken words made her sigh deeply. "Try to stay in touch. Just enough to know that everything is okay with you, that's all." Comfortingly, she rubbed his upper arms. "I love you, Jason."