Chapter 12: Fragile like Glass

I was a complete mess. All I wanted was to get up and just leave this damn room, but I couldn't. I was under careful watch by Charles, Jess and Xander all the time.

"Jess, Just give me a wheelchair and push me outside into the hall?!" I whined for the hundred times, she merely shook her head and continued checking my wounds. Xander and Charles walked into the room, before I got the chance to ask her again.

"Xander, you don't seriously think that staying cooped up in this room like this, will improve my mental state, do you?" I ask, the second he got through the door. Xander stopped, shocked at my sudden outburst.

"We actually came to get you out of here." Xander smiled warmly at me, then exited the room a second later reemerging with a wheelchair.

"Everyone is throwing a party for your victory in killing James and returning home, down in the dining room." Charles said

"Charles!" Jess gasped.

"There is no way, she is ready to leave her bed yet!"

"Is she in critical condition?" He asked back. Jess was at a loss of words, and just started, unhugging me from the different machines.

"If everybody is going to see me, I will be walking out of here, not pushed in a wheelchair" I protested.

"You can't walk!" Jess yelled.

"Don't any of you realize how bad of a state she is still in!" She was getting hysterical. I looked up at Charles, silently begging him to let me walk on my own.

"I understand where this is coming from Alice...Jess got her some crutches" Jess, didn't move.

"Now Jess!" Charles snapped. She ran into the other room and came back with a pair of silver crutches. Xander helped me sit up on the edge of the bed, my legs dangling in front of me. Jess gave me the crutches and I struggled for a moment to stand even with their support. My arms were shaking and my side was bruning from the effort.

"Alice, you need to take it slow" Charles warned, as I tried to stand completely again. This time I remained standing, only shaking a little.

"Are you ready?" Xander asked, standing in front of me, forcing me to look into his deep blue eyes.

"I am fine" My voice was empty of all emotion.

"Then let's go" Charles held the door open for me.

It took me at least ten minutes to get to the doors of the dinning hall, a trip that would normally take me 3 minutes. I stopped in front of the door, I could hear whispering inside, but they were too quiet to make out the words.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to look at Charles.

"You are strong" He said, and with that the big oak doors flew open.

The room was filled with people, sitting around eating, talking, smiling at me. A big banner had been hung over the far wall, with the writing "Welcome home Alice" in big capital letters. Travis and Aaron stood up to greet me.

"It is so good to see you out of bed!" Travis gently steared me toward an empty table. Aaron grabbed my arm as I tried to sit down and started to fall. He pulled me into his chest and gently helped me sit down, he didn't let go before he was sure that I was sitting down in the chair.

"Thank you" I said, keeping my eyes on the table in front of me. The staff had apparently baked a big cake, covered in black frosting. Three big pieces sat at our table. Travis handed me one of the plates and I gladly accepted it, still grateful to eat anything other than stale bread.