Chapter 6: "Follow the Hearts"

"What hearts?" I shouted back at Gigi, but she probably didn't hear me. Feeling doubtful, I turned around again. I muttered under my breath as I tried to shake off the feeling that something was going to happen.

"Here goes nothing," I sighed as I went forward to the OB. There were red cutout paper hearts hanging from the ceiling inside the building.

I was totally expecting to see Ed; instead there was a tall, blonde guy who had quite a build. He seemed lost.

"Excuse me," he approached me once he spotted me, "where can I find the registrar's office?"

"Certainly not here," I let out a small laugh.

He paused to look at me for a second. His head was tilting to the side as if he was trying to decide where he knew me. "That laugh seems quite familiar, have we met somewhere?" he asked.

"I don't think so." I said getting a closer look at his face. I squinted, frowning as I tried to figure out who he was.

"Addie?" he asked all of a sudden.

My eyes widened. How in heaven's name did he know who I was? "How did you know my name?" I said, ready to scurry away. Man, what kind of messed up idea did Gigi and Terence have to set me up in an old creepy building with a dude who was definitely starting to creep me out.

"I'm Ralph" he said with a certain sparkle in his eyes, "Don't you remember me? I was at your farewell party." Ralph?! It just couldn't be! Ralph wasn't this built.

"Are you serious? You? Ralph? What happened to you?" I said.

“Well, I needed a hobby,” he said with smile. That distinct 'Ralph' smile. The one that once captured my heart. I hugged him tightly, almost instantly.

"Oops," I said backing off. I cursed at myself in my head. What was I even thinking? "We're not even that close." I muttered out loud, looking down at our feet. "It was all shock," I reasoned "Plain shock. I'm really, really sorry."

"You have no idea how long I've wanted that," he said pulling me back in.

"You look great," he said, not even budgeing as if he didn't have a plan of letting go. "Did you do something with your hair? You look different."

I laughed again as I pulled back a bit but he kept his arms around me, "I guess looking less miserable all the time makes you look more youthful." He laughed at that, too.

There were a pair of footsteps whose echoes just became louder and louder, hinting someone was coming.

"Addie?" his voice said. I quickly turned around, Ralph's arms dropping to his sides.

Ed. He dropped the bouquet of roses that he brought. There was anger in the way he stared at us, and the way his jaw tensed was almost painfulm"Is he the reason why you just couldn't be happy? Is he the old boyfriend?" he practically hissed.

"He has nothing to do with us," I said, defending Ralph.

"He does now," Ed said. It only took him three long strides to walk to us throwing a punch at Ralph while Ralph stood there, simply taking the blow. He fell on his back because of the impulse.

I immediately stooped down to check on Ralph. "Are you alright?" I whispered to him.

He only answered my question with a nod but his eyes never left Ed."Is he the new boyfriend?" he said wiping of a bit of blood from his lips.

"No," I said pulling him up. "Come on. Lemme take you to the school clinic, then we'll go to the registrar's office."

"Him?" Ed reacted ready to pull another punch.

"Stop it, Ed! If I wasn't too occupied about Ralph, I'd be a hell lot more angrier than I am right now." I said holding them back. "But we," I gestured to the three of us, "are going to discuss this like rational human beings."

"Fine!" Ed said finally backing off. He shrugged his shoulders in an attempt to cool off.

"That was not a request. You guys, see me at home after school. Come on Ralph," I said.

"I'm coming with you," Ed said, frowning.

"No," I said plainly.

"Why not?" the tone in his voice gave it out that he thought I was being unfair, "Why can't I come with you?"

"For one thing, he's the visitor, not you. And if you remember, you were the one who started this mess, plus I'm still mad at you. Thanks for the effort though," I said walking away with Ralph.

We sat down on the couch at the clinic. While the nurse wasn't around, we agreed to make up an excuse. I couldn't afford to get Ed reprimanded; after all, I still care about him.

I eventually got sick of waiting, so I took the liberty of roaming around the room while Ralph stayed on the couch. I saw a note from the nurse saying:   "To all students and staff, I'll be gone until 3:30 in the afternoon, please apply first-aid if needed. I left the kit on the cupboard. I will attend to you as soon as I return." I sighed. What kind of a nurse leaves her clinic open for rabid teens to ransack? She probably had a stash of pills and syrups waiting to be abused. I shook my head, deciding to take the initiative to apply first aid on Ralph. I took the necessary materials from the medicine cabinet, and then sat beside Ralph.

"Stay still, this is going to hurt a bit." I wared as I tried to apply medicine on his wounded lip.

"Ugh!" he groaned as the pain stung him.

"Hold still!" I said putting on some gauze, "there. Now, tell me, why'd you come here?"

"To study, I guess." He wasn't looking at me when he said this.

"I don't understand. Was there something in LA that was keeping you from studying there? And in Norwich, no less. Too much of coincidence, if you ask me."

"...Well, my grandma lives here and..." he started, but the way my eyebrows met must have given away my skepticism.

"Honestly? You want the truth?" he said reluctantly as if trying to hide something.

"That's what I expect you to give me."

"I... I need... I needed to see you." He looked down on his lap, as if he was embarrassed to admit so.

"What do you mean you need to see me? Uh, do you need a favor or something? You could've just texted, called or emailed me."

"It's not like that Ad, I've been thinking of you ever since you left," he sighed.

Uh wait... what? He never even noticed me back in L.A., now this?

The explanation I wanted, but never found the composure to was answered as he took my hand in his. "That day you left, I was worried but happy at the same time. I worried and didn't even know why. All I knew was there was this uneasy feeling on my chest. And yet I was happy when I got to talk to you, it sorta eased the burden off my chest. That night, your face stuck in my dreams. I woke up the next morning and I couldn't get you off my mind. I went to school and checked if you were at the place you usually sat in the cafeteria, but then I remembered you weren't there anymore. Every time I close my eyes, you're all I see. Addie," he said staring into my eyes, "Will you be mine?"

Right then and there Gigi's words came into my head, "follow the hearts!" Did she mean to follow mine? Where am I supposed to go when my heart is falling behind?