Chapter 9: "The Hard Way"

"Bye Eddie!" I shouted to him, waving my hand, as he walked into his house. He gave me a small wave as he slid back in. "Let's go home," I ordered Sylvester as I leaned back on the seat, allowing the coolness of the leather relax me. When I arrived home, I saw Bea at the porch. She seemed quite worried about something-- which only in turn made me worry.

"Lin" she whispered to me as soon as she was able to grab my arm and drag me aside, "you can't go in. Ralph's in there, he's waiting for Addie."

"Why can't I go in?" My eyebrow shot up. "He doesn't know the secret. I can get in there as Lin if I wanted to," I turned to Sylvester who had tailed behind me. "Right?"

"I told him Addie was out-- to buy you some time. Don't you have some Addie clothes back there?"

"No, I only ever have an emergency Lin set. I never thought I'd need to change into Addie." I frowned as my eyebrows met, "But I still don't get the point."

"Common sense, girl!" Bea positively groaned. "If you go in as Lin and you change into Addie, it would seem fishy; because, my dear, it wouldn't make sense if Addie just teleported in without passing through the front door." she pointed out. The back door was somewhere visible from the living room too so that wasn't an option.

"Ah... I can't be inside if I hadn't entered," I said finally getting her point, "why don't we get Sylvester to get me some clothes?"

"Yeah, but it would be weird if Sylvester go out with some girl clothes, or a bag. You don't see butlers do that. We can't risk that. "

She'd made her point, so I decided to do things the hard way.

"Are you sure about that?" she said looking up at the Sycamore tree outside my window.

"It's the only way to get in without getting fishy, open the window for me," I smiled at her.

"Do be careful, Madame," Sylvester calmly cautioned in his cold-butler voice, “I wouldn't want scratches on you. That would be a big deduction on my pay."

"We wouldn't want that," I said as I grabbed on to a branch. It was just a stroke of luck that I had my running attire from that celebrity marathon.

Branch by branch, I stepped up; not moving an inch until I was assured that the next branch I was to step on was sturdy enough to hold my weight. Sweaty and tired, I slid through the window and into my room. I washed myself and got into some Addie clothes and looked down the window. With a huff I started to go down, the words "I can do this" stuck in my mind. Finally I was able to reach the ground, the sweet, sweet, grassy ground. Thank goodness my white tee had just a bit of wood on it, no major stains. I dusted off the debris off my clothes and walked through the door. I pretended not to notice Ralph.

"Addie," he said calling my attention, "have you heard of the news?" The way he looked at me just gave away his concern, which only meant that the publicity I wanted for the date had been met. It was hard not to smile at that, but I'd managed.

"Which one?" I asked, pretending to have no idea what he was talking about.

"Lin's got a new boyfriend," he said.

"Um. Yeah, Tony Larkin right? That so-called teen sensation?"

"I guess you haven't heard the news," he turned on the T.V. and switched to Jack! TMZ (replay).

"Lin!" shouted the reporter. Lin waved and was standing beside Ed. "is this your new boyfriend?"

"Yes he is," Lin said with a beaming smile, "I'd like you to meet Edgar Ramos, the brave soul who saved my life."

"What about Tony?"

"I've told you before, and I'm telling you again. Tony and I are just friends." Lin smiled as she went on to continue her romantic afternoon with Eddie.

Ralph turned off the T.V. as I held back a smile. He looked at me and I started to cry.

"I'm sorry," he said approaching me and held in his arms.

"This is exactly why I hesitated; I knew I'd get hurt sooner or later." I said, "I'd like some time alone." I said feeling uncomfortable and pushing him away.

"I can leave you alone, but I won't," he said as he pulled me back into his arms.

"I'm serious," I looked at him.

"I'm serious, too," he said as he gently kissed my forehead.

And so I cried the rest of the night in his arms. I just had to cry even though I already knew the news. It's how one is supposed to react in the situation. I guess I was, am, and will always be stuck to doing everything the hard way.