Chapter 7: "Dilemma"

"I have to think about that." I stood up abruptly, "The registrar's office is at room 103 in the administration building. If you say anything about what happened today, you'll be dead meat." I glared at Ralph, jaw tensing a bit to make it clear that I wasn't messing around. "And don't forget that we still have to talk later," I concluded, walking out.

As I made my way back to the room, my head was spinning as I tried to register everything that was going on.

Later that afternoon, I baked some cookies. Though we had cooks, I preferred cooking and baking on my own. After all, the kitchen has been a wonderful companion to me since forever. For one thing, it's where the food is. Plus there was no better way for me to unwind than cooking or baking. 

"Addie?" Bea poked her head in before coming inside, "you weren't inside your room or at the living room, so I figured you'd be here." She frowned. "Ha-- Ha-- How can you stand the heat in here?" she complained, fanning herself.

"You can stay outside if you want," I laughed as I got the cookies from the oven. Typical of Bea to complain about everything.

"Wonderful idea," she said as if she never would've dreamed of doing it unless I suggested it. At least she always took my feelings into account. Her hair spun as she did so to exit the room. My sister loved being dramatic.

I finally finished transferring the cookies to a clean plate. So I went out to the living room, leaving the cookies in the kitchen island. "I saw Ralph at your school today; we had a bit of a chitchat," Bea said as soon as she spotted me out of the kitchen door. "He really likes you, doesn't he?" She asked suddenly. 

“I don't know,” I shrugged, “but I'm about to find out. What were you doing at my school?” I attempted to change the subject (but also was genuinely curious.) 

"He really missed you, too." She said with a mocking grin, not even bothering to entertain my question.  

"Shut up," I slapped her shoulder playfully. "Why were you at my school?"

"I was there to scope out cuties." She cocked her hip to the side and rested a hand on them, smirking.

"Underaged cuties," I rolled my eyes at her and threw my floury apron at her, which earned a shriek from her. I took that as a cue to take my leave and run up to my room, locking it behind me for good measure.

I was taking off my sweat-stained, sugar-coated clothes as the doorbell rang.  

"I'll get it!" Bea yelled. I quickly picked up some clothes blindly and rushed to dress. I came down as Bea met me half-way down the stairs.  

"What are you doing?" she said, shocked.  

"Uh, I think I was going down the stairs before you interrupted. So yeah, I'm going down now."  

"Not while looking like that! You're practically shouting, 'Hey! Look at me! I'm Lin!' "  

"What do you mean?" I said looking at my clothes. I realized I was wearing a designer party dress; Lin's favorite, too. Stunned, I looked at Bea.  

"Now you know what I mean," she said acting like a Mean Girl, "you better go back to your room and change into a more 'appropriate' look." Right at that moment I heard a pair of feet coming nearer. So I ran back to my room and quickly closed the door. That was close, I thought. Also it dawned on me that I had been running so much outside of my P.E. class lately, which I found to be even more odd than the situation I was currently in. 

I quickly took off my clothes and carefully chose from the Addie closet. I put on my gray turtle neck with three-fourth sleeves, jeans and my trusty flip-flops. Now that was more of an Addie look. I finally came down to see the guys.