Chapter 15: "Face the Fear"

"Are you sure about this?" dad asked as he straightened off my ruffled sleeve.

"I need to stop running away," I said taking a peak outside the drapes, waving at Gen.

"Excuse me," mom announced before she continued to relay the reason why I called a press conference to the media, but very carefully, not giving off important details.

It's been a week since my meltdown, but not until now have I ever felt so shaky in my life. I've already told Gen about the big secret. I was honestly scared of losing her, and being stranded in the war alone, but she gave me a warm hug and a nice assuring smile.

She convinced me to face the reality that I've always refused to see, and start facing what I fear. I was hesitant at first, but her assurance that she would still be there no matter what happened seemed to have given me extra guts. Then and there, I was sure, I've found myself a best friend.

And now I’m back in L.A. to face the challenge she gave me. But much more than that, to solve the problem that I had created

"Lin, it's time," Bea's whisper led me back to the present. I gave her a light nod before I stepped into the limelight. The cameras flashed their blinding lights and the crowd's murmur became louder as I elegantly placed myself on my seat. The entire room hushed as mom cued me onto the podium. I went on to the stage and gave out a loud huff.

"Good morning," I started. "First, I would like to thank all of you for being present tonight. I would like to tell you a story I have been too familiar with, and I think it is time to tell you. On the rainy morning of May 13, 1995, a certain girl was able to breathe her very first breath. She was born to the most popular couple in Hollywood and went about by the name of ‘Addie.’ She was born in a world full of fame and limelight and she reluctantly let it into her life. But the life of luxury and popularity was the reason why people rejected her. She was emotionally abused and bullied as she never did fulfill other people's expectations, the only one different, the only one who was so simple. Desperate to find a way out, she pretended to be someone else, someone that everyone would love, someone who was totally not her. From then on she had to live two separate lives. From then on, I came to be. From then on, Addie became me," I solemnly turned around and removed my identity as Lin, I was once again the plain Addie, red-haired, green-eyed and simple. "To Los Angeles, and to the world," I continued as my voice reigned over the crowd's hustle, "I am Adeline Driftwood. You are welcome to critic me or you may allow me to be. Either way, I am no longer afraid to show who I am." And with that, I moved down from the stage.

The interviewers raised their pens in hopes in being called so that I may answer their questions. My mom called out the reporter in a plaid dress and a perfectly cut bob, whom she seemed to know.

The media hushed as she stood up.

"Miss Lin," she started.

"Please, call me Addie," I politely corrected.

"Miss Addie," she continued, "does Mr. Ramos have anything to do with this?"

"Ed has nothing to do with this," I said struggling to stay in an upright position, "Ed being my boyfriend? Never happened. It almost did though, but I screwed it up. The truth is I only made it look like we were going out to keep Tony Larkin away. I realize that that was an unnecessary thing to do, selfish if I may."

"Miss Addie," a voice unmistakably from Cheska called from the crowd, "are you going to have to leave show business?"

"I will have to wait until my contracts end before I decide on that. If there are good offers proposed, I may continue."

"What will you do from now on?" a guy in his mid-fifties asked from the left-wing.

"I don't know really. I have no idea what to do. I'll have to start from scratch, I guess."

"What would you like to say to your fans?" A wimpy red-headed male squeaked.

"To my dearest fans who have always and always supported me, and who have been with me through thick and thin: I ask of your forgiveness. I am willing to receive all your comments and violent reactions. I'm sorry for hiding the truth from you. I'm sorry for being so selfish. I resolve to always be truthful from now on."

"Miss Addie!" the reporters all shouted inharmoniously competing for my attention, trying to get the best scoop.

At exactly 1:00 the last reporter left the conference room. My family left me with Gen at the front desk.

"Congratulations Addie, I'm so proud to you," Gen said giving me a tight hug, "no more secrets."

"Yeah... There is one thing that I haven't told you though," I mumbled.

"You're not Hannah Montana are you?" she said playfully.

"No," I laughed. "But seriously, there's one thing I have to ask you."

"Of course. Shoot it out," she said straightening up.

"Do you happen to know a guy named Ralph? Ralph Riggs?"

"S'matter of fact I do. He's my...-"

"-boyfriend?" I finished for her.

"Golly, no!" she said in disgust, "he's my brother from another dad. He's been living with his dad ever since mom got married to my dad. But he moved to Norwich to... what was that? Oh it doesn't really matter. Wait. Oh my gosh, he went after some girl. That was about almost the same time you moved."

I shrugged. "Well, he and I got together."

"And you didn't tell me?" she said failing to hide the smile on her face.

"But that's all over. I... um... broke up with him"

"What?" she said as her smile turned into a blank expression.

"I tried to love him. No, I did. But that was before I left, before my life was changed by Ed. And then I saw him with you, and totally got the wrong idea. But since I didn't know that, I took it as a chance to end our emotionless relationship," I looked at her, "you understand, right?"

"How did he deal with it?" she said ignoring my question.

"He was quite confused at first, but then he got his revenge because by the next day everyone was looking at me as if I convicted a heinous crime. And then he tried to bring Ed on his side, too."

"Was Ed-- you know-- 'brought to his side'?" she asked.

"I don't know. That was the very same day I left for London."

"I wasn't," Ed said as he entered the hall, catching his breath,

"How did you..." I said, unsure of what to say, "I mean, from NY to LA?"

"Jet. Contacted. Sylvester," he gasped as he got nearer to the desk. I stood up and ran to him to give him a tight hug.

"I hope you forgive me for not telling you," I said as I pulled back. He playfully punched my left shoulder.

"I already knew," he smiled.

"Ralph?" I guessed.

"What he said to me just assured me that I was still sane. I figured out most of it."

"You knew, and you didn't tell me." I said.

"You had a secret identity and didn't tell him," Gen said enjoying our conversation from the background.

"Point," Ed and I chorused. We both laughed.

"I suspected, the first day I met you, but I wasn't that sure. Then there was my first time at your place where I thought I saw Lin. Then at times when Lin calls, your voices aren't distinct at all, you should have worked on that. And then that interview, and the date with Ralph, where you were weirdly wearing the same bracelet, and make-up, you don't wear make-up."

Only I guy that interested would notice the bracelet. I smiled inevitably, and rewarded him with a kiss.

"Get a room," Gen teased.

"Get a boyfriend," I teased back.

"You ready for what's to come?" Ed said looking deeply into my eyes.

"I've learned to face my fear," I shrugged.

"That's my girl," Gen beamed.