1- A typical day

Her POV

I smile at the passersby. It's obvious I'm a tourist. I don't blend in with the crowd at all. But I really couldn't care less.

It was a beautiful July morning. One of the more warmer months here, but it was still too cold for someone like me who was born and brought up near the coast of a tropical country.

Maybe it was the fact that Malmö was a coastal city of sorts too that drew me here.

But then again, I really don't know.

I unlock my bicycle. It's mint green and charming. Really convenient that the apartment came with one since I really enjoy cycling. The wind in my hair is one of the best feelings ever.

That and rain on my face in the monsoon.

The best feelings...

I bike to the nearest cafe/ bakery that I found. It seemed relatively new, but the raspberry crowns and chocolate croissants were to die for.

*Not good for my waist.* But then again anything that tasted good was not good for my waist, but I couldn't care less.

"Hi! Would you like the usual?" Asked Livia, who was now familiar with my usual order of a cappuccino and a chocolate croissant.

"Yes, please! Thank you!"

It's funny how I have a "usual" order here, but not one in my town.

Three days in a new place and I already have a cafe I frequent with a barista who knows me by face.

Huh.

It's weird but not all that bad.

Maybe I should get out of my house more often.

Then I remember I'm an architecture intern. I have no life. Every waking minute is consumed with thoughts about some building or some park or some random wall that's out of place.

"Arch. Ayanna, graduate with honours. Placed in the top ten in her year. " My parents proclaim to our relatives and anyone they meet really, while my dad pats me on the back and I flash a nervous smile.

But I seriously don't know how I got here.

I've been good at everything.

In all my classes, I've passed with above-average grades.
So that didn't help my indecisive brain when I had to choose a major.

I thought I'll pick whatever college I get into.

Didn't help I got into every major I wrote an exam for.

Everything except design, which was the one thing that seemed to resonate with me.

The funny thing is that I ranked really high in architecture without preparing for it at all.

My parents were like "This is meant to be! You don't know what to do, yet you cleared this with flying colours! This must be what you're born to do!"

So I went with it, not knowing the downward spiral that was coming.

"Ayanna! I have your order ready!"

That shook me out of my thoughts. I walk up to Liv (as I've started to call her in my head) and grab my cup and croissant. I pick one of the straight-backed chairs with the high table facing the windows, take out my sketchbook from my bag and start mindlessly doodling.

A random streetlamp that caught my fancy, my mint green bike, people going about their day... Until the coffee got down to a drinkable temperature.

I finished up my breakfast and made my way to one of the numerous parks dotting the city.

Today was one of the days I had planned to * get lost in the city * out of my extensive schedule which included various buildings and other places of interest.

I found a nice bench under a tree that was flowering with delicate white blossoms, not too far from the path. I settled down. Taking out my sketchbook, putting on my headphones and selecting my drawing playlist, which at the moment had a disproportionate amount of Korean songs, mostly BTS.

"Oh what a glorious day to be alive..." I say to myself before I start.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Please vote and comment! It really makes my day when I see people reading and interacting with the book! I love each comment and insight y'all give LoL

-M