Chapter Nine

"If the irons in the storage room are the cause of the blackout, in order for the culprit to fire up those irons. They would have to go to the storage room, wouldn't they? In that case, the people who were in the big hall when the power outage occurred should be removed from the suspect list right?!" He exclaimed as you wiped your eyes.

"No! The-the people who were in the big hall are not yet removed from suspicion!" You argued.

"The people who were in the big hall could not have caused the blackout! If the irons were the trigger for that power outage-"

"Shut it and listen!" You yelled at him, slamming your hands on the wooden bar in front of you.

"The irons did cause the power outage, but they weren't the direct trigger for it. The direct trigger was the air conditioners in the big hall and the office turning on!" You continued.

"A-AIR CONDITIONERS?!" Nekomaru exclaimed.

"Both air conditioners were set to turn on at 11:30," Hajime agreed as Peko patted your head to calm you down.

"11:30. That's about the same time that Mr. Porkfeet died!" Hiyoko noted.

"So the moment those air conditioners turned on, the breakers flipped, causing the blackout. Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! You got me! I am fully convinced!" Nekomaru laughed.

"Monkey's uncle?!" Sonia exclaimed.

"The culprit must have investigated the power limit at the old lodge beforehand and set up enough irons to just barely reach it. Then, all they had to do was set up the air conditioner's timers and wait for them to turn on," Nagito noted.

"Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! They could cause the power outage even were Peko still in the office!" Sonia smiled.

"He got to Sonia?!" Kazuichi exclaimed.

"It is also possible that they might have asked Monokuma about the power limit," Chiaki added.

"Gasp!" Monokuma exclaimed.

"Did he just say gasp?" You asked softly.

"Did she hit the jackpot?! How detestable, you feserve to die a thousand times over!" Monomi exclaimed.

"A thousand times? If I die that many times, I'd really be dead," Monokuma laughed.

"Shut up you two!" Mahiru exclaimed.

"I wouldn't have been able to prevent the blackout even if I had stayed in the office. But, nevertheless, I am ashamed. Had I stayed, I might have been able to quickly reset the breakers. That might have prevented this horrible incident from occurring," Peko sighed.

"No, the fusebox in that office is too high for any of us to reach. It would have been impossible for you to reset the breakers. Even if it wasn't pitch black at the time," Nagito told her.

"It's not your fault," you told her softly.

"Seems like you shouldn't worry about it too much," Fuyuhiko agreed.

"We seem to have a cunning culprit on our hands. I'm starting to worry that we'll never find them," Hiyoko said.

"It's fine. There's no need for worry. I mean, come on! It's just some killer, right? What chance can they possibly stand against the students who were branded the symbols of hope?!" Nagito exclaimed.

"W-what?" You asked him.

"There's no way we're going to lose here. An incident of this level isn't an obstacle! It's a mere stepping stone! In the end, hope is going to win! I have full confidence in that!" He exclaimed.