Chapter Twelve

"Eh, what? What're talking about?!" Teruteru exclaimed.

"Teruteru is the culprit? Really?!" Mahiru exclaimed.

"W-w-what're you saying?! There's no way it's me!" He said quickly.

"This is just our theory right now, of course. So, it you have any counterarguments, by all means, let's hear them," Hajime said.

"C-c-counterarguments? Why're you even treating me like a culprit?" Teruteru asked.

"Because the portable stove that was used as a light was in the kitchen. Now c'mon. You expected Fuyu to provide an alibi and counterargument. Where's yours?" You asked him.

"T-t-that's why you think I'm the culprit?! That's just arbitrary! It's cruel! You're far too cruel!" Teruteru yelled at you.

"Ah, Teruteru this isn't like you at all. You're in possession of a wonderful talent. You're the Ultimate Cook. You can't just break apart like that," Nagito said.

"C-chef. I'm a chef," Teruteru corrected.

"If you succumb to these dubious aspersions, who's going to hold the culinary world together?" Nagito asked him.

"T-the culinary world?" Teruteru asked.

"Yes! For the sake of the future of cuisine, pull yourself together, and face the accusations!" Nagito grinned.

"T-that's right! Yes, you're right!" Teruteru agreed.

"By the way, what's an aspersion? Does it taste good?" Akane asked.

"Asbestos is also excellent, you know. How about you try some later?" Hiyoko laughed.

"Nagito, what are you poking your nose in this?!" Hajime exclaimed.

"Let's assume the culprit did use the light. And let's assume they used the fire doors to mask their actions. That would get them to the storage room and then allow them to crawl under the floor. But what then? The crawlspace is completely dark too. How did they manage to stab Togami? Don't try to tell me they had the stove on as they stabbed. If they did that, the target would spot them and the game would be up!" Nagito explained.

"T-that's right! What do you have to say about that?!" Teruteru exclaimed.

"T-that's...." Hajime trailed off unsure.

"You can't answer, can you? After all, you never investigated the crawlspace yourself did you?" Nagito asked him.

"We can ask Gundham! He's actually been in there!" Mahiru said.

"Regrettably, nothing remained of the murderer's paraphernalia in that dark dimension. All was void, save for a ghostly phosphorescence around the blood pooled on the floor," Gundham explained.

"W-what?! Did you say there was a light there?!" Mahiru exclaimed.

"That sounds super important!" Ibuki exclaimed.

"If there was a glowing landmark, it was possible to move to that location even during the blackout," Sonia stated.

"And after they moved to the designated location, they could target what that landmark was attached to, couldn't they?" Chiaki asked.

"That's because the landmark was the knife! The glow in the dark paint was a giveaway," you said, Teruteru shooting you a glare.

"Ah! Even in the dark, all they'd have to do is aim for the glow in the dark paint!" Nekomaru exclaimed.

"Of course...the culprit didn't aim for a person...they aimed for the paint when it moved!" Hiyoko added.

"That would be the moment someone took hold of the knife, wouldn't it!" Sonia added.