Through da Window

Chris’s Pov.
Once I finally reached the dock, there were a few Newsies sitting there, one boy in particular I recognized.

“How’s it kickin Rolla?” I smiled leaning against a crate.

The boys' heads shot up but all turned to smiles upon seeing me.

“Hey you’re okay!” he smiled pulling me into a hug.

“Yeah yeah I’m fine” I chuckled “Hey who’s seen Spot?” I asked.

“He’s up in his room in the lodging house. He hasn’t left it since you got put away, he won’t eat, he won’t sleep, I heard him crying when I went to check on him” Roller sighed

I sighed as well. I felt awful. I didn’t want to make Spot unhappy in any way. I smiled and thanked the boys before running up to the Brooklyn lodging house. Lots of boys were asleep when I got there so I had to be quiet as I made my way to Spot's room, or the attic really. Once I reached the door I heard quiet sobs. Oh god what have I done. I tried to quietly open the door but one of the floorboards creaked.

“Rolla go away” Spot yelled through his sobs.

I sighed and crossed my arms. Spot looked awful, even if I couldn’t see his face.

“Sorry I thought this was the King's room” I spoke softly, a small smirk growing on my face.

When Spot heard my voice he instantly looked up. Oh God. His eyes were red and puffy, and his cheeks were stained with tears.

“Chris?” he asked.

I smiled and nodded. He smiled so wide his jaw might have broken. He was on his feet and pulling me into a hug in two seconds.

“God I missed you” I sighed.

“I thought I’d neva see yous again” Spot was still crying.

“How little faith you have in the Hatten Newsies” I chuckled, so did Spot.

I pulled away and held his face in my hands. I wiped away a few tears with the pad of my thumb.

“How’d you get out?” Spot asked.

“Through da window” I smirked.

Spot chuckled and pulled me into a deep, overdue kiss. God I needed this. He was so perfect. I wrapped my arms around his neck and never wanted to let go. His lips felt salty from the tears, but they were soft and sweet nonetheless. Once we lost our breath we pulled away finally.

“Spot I’m so sorry, about Jack an my name. I had no clue I’m so-

“Hey hey hey” Spot cut me off “Chris it’s alright. I know yous had da train accident. I don’t blame you” He smiled.

I smiled, I’m so glad. I pulled him into a hug this time. A tight hug. I never wanted to let go. Spot was the best thing that ever happened to me, I was so glad I had him.

“I should probably head back to da lodging house” I sighed “It’s gettin late”

“Nu uh” Spot shook his head “It’s way to late, and yous jus got outta jail. You’re stayin here” he decided.

I sighed, and nodded. I was too tired to fight it really. The worry and adrenaline had kept me awake. Now, I was really tired. Spot nodded and led me to his small bed. 

“Wait Spot I ain’t sleepin in ya bed” I shook my head.

“Yes you are. You been in jail for two days, you deserve one” he chuckled.

“Why don’t you sleep with me?” I bargained.

“I can get behind dat” he smirked, and stripped himself of his suspenders and shirt “You usually sleep in ya clothes?” he chuckled.

“Well usually just me shirt” I shrugged.

I looked up at Spot. He was giving me a look saying “I won’t do nothin to ya”. I chuckled and took off my trousers and suspenders. Luckily I had borrowed a bunch of old clothes from the boys, so it was quite a big shirt for me. I smiled at Spot, who was smiling at me. He got into the bed beside me, and pulled the small quilt over top of us. He wrapped his arms around my waist, I smiled at the warmth.

“Goodnight my King” I sighed.

“Goodnight Minnie” Spot chuckled.

“Oh fer pete sake do not!” I groaned, making Spot chuckle.

“Night Chris” he said again.

I smiled and slipped off into my dreams. I hope Jack is okay. I’m a little mad at him for lying, but I can’t stay mad at him, or so I thought.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*