11. McDonald's

Somehow, I'd ended up in a coffee shop with this Harry person. I didn't really want to spend any more time than I needed to with the person responsible – no, for the person whose boat was responsible for my parents' death. Same thing. But I was curious to hear what lies Dylan had invented about Alice, so when Harry suggested we go for a coffee, I had reluctantly agreed. So here I was, my hands wrapped around a warm latte, while Harry sat opposite me with a cappuccino. He drummed his fingers on the table, looking slightly uncomfortable. It was clear he understood that I was not a fan of Dylan, and he was friends with him, so that made it a little awkward.

"So," I started. "How do you know Dylan?"

"Well, our parents were always good friends, so I guess we've just known each other since birth. We never went to the same school, though – he stayed in town but I went to a different school, about an hour away." Harry took a sip of his drink. "Stayed in touch, of course. We're still good friends. And trust me, he was heartbroken after Alice."

"I just..." I shook my head to myself. "I just find it difficult to believe, because Alice was really heartbroken. Turns out he never loved her. Alice told me it was all for a bet."

"A bet?" Harry said incredulously. "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Alice cheated on him."

My mouth dropped open. "Alice did not cheat on Dylan! No way. I don't believe that for a second."

He raised an eyebrow. "Well, one of them is lying. Guess we just need to find out which one."

"It's Dylan," I said matter-of-factly. "Of course it's Dylan. You know what he's like, he's a player."

"Yeah, he was, until he met Alice. And then she cheated on him."

I just shook my head incredulously. "I'm sorry, I'm just finding this kind of hard to believe. Given Dylan's history, it's way more likely that Alice is telling the truth."

"Okay, I guess we're both biased," Harry said with a smile.

"Probably," I agreed. "Although I'm still right."

"Sure, sure. So, Ana. Tell me your plans. Your hopes, your dreams." He was still smiling at me.

What hopes and dreams? "Uh, still figuring stuff out. I don't really know." I shifted uncomfortably. I wasn't that keen on extending this conversation, but it seemed rude not to reciprocate the question. "You?"

He shrugged. "Honestly, I'm still figuring it out too. My parents are pushing me to go straight to university, to study a subject I don't even want to do, so there's that."

"Right," I acknowledged, "But you're not going to do that?"

"I don't know," Harry said vaguely. "It would get me a good job."

I raised an eyebrow. "But you'd be a miserable in a job that you didn't enjoy."

He just smiled. "Well, we'll see."

I pressed my lips together but said nothing and glanced at my watch. "Listen, I've got to go catch a bus." I stood up, finishing the rest of my coffee, and Harry stood up too. "I'll, uh, see you around."

"Well, to make sure you do see me around, why don't you give me your number?" he suggested boldly.

I hesitated, but then thought, why not? "Uh, okay." I put my number in his phone and said a last goodbye before leaving the coffee shop.

As I was sat in the bus on the way back, I was replaying my meeting with Harry in my head. The way we'd met was strange. I couldn't believe it was his family that had rented out the boat which had caused my parents' death, and that he'd asked for my number. Although he was attractive, confident and had a sense of humour, there was something... suspicious about him. But I thought to myself that it was probably just my misdirected anger towards him and his family. Seeing the boat had just really thrown me. My thoughts were seriously muddled, and I was even more confused by his accusations against Alice. There was no way I believed him, but just one small part of me thought, 'What if it's true? What if Alice has been lying to you?' But Alice was my best friend. She wouldn't do that, and she was an absolute wreck after Dylan.