18. Truth

I jogged into town, blasting music through my headphones so as not to think too much. I was completely unfocused on my surroundings, and I didn't realise, but I was running fast, like I was trying to run away from my problems. Which, I guess I sort of was. I didn't even realise I'd reached the centre of town until I was right next to Melissa's. I stopped, breathing hard, and swigged some water. I peered into the café, noticing that my friend Grace was working. I took a couple of deep breaths to make sure I wasn't panting anymore before heading in to say hi.

Grace's expression brightened when she saw me from behind the counter. "Ana, hey! Coming in for a coffee?"

I waved my hand in dismissal. "No, no, just saw you and came in to say hi."

"On a run?" she asked, noticing my clothes and sweaty face. I nodded. "I admire you, I really do. I would rather work for six hours straight with Arthur than go for a run on a Sunday."

Arthur was a guy who worked at Melissa's in his early 20's, constantly bossing everybody around and acting like he was manager, but at the same time managed to flirt with Grace every chance he got. Not only Grace, but with every attractive girl that walked into the coffee shop. "That's really saying something."

"I dislike running so very much," she said dramatically.

Someone behind me cleared their throat. "Can I order, or are you two just going to chat all day?"

I realised I was standing in front of someone who clearly was waiting, and I shot an apologetic look at Grace before turning to step out the queue. Except I realised the person who'd made the snide comment was Dylan. He grinned at me. "Well hey, Ana."

I scowled. I hadn't seen him since his party, where I'd had a go at him. "What do you want?"

Dylan raised an eyebrow. "Can't I just get a cup of coffee?" He turned to Grace. "I would love an americano, please."

Grace just nodded, throwing me a confused look. I just shook my head at her before facing Dylan again. "Did you follow me in here, or something?"

"No," he said, holding his hands up in an innocent gesture. "I didn't, I swear. I just came in here for coffee. Then I'm going to meet a girl for a date." He winked at me. I rolled my eyes. "Speaking of dates, heard you've been seeing my friend Harry. Care to explain?"

"Not really," I said flatly. "I don't think it's any of your business."

"I kind of think it is." Grace handed Dylan his coffee and he tapped his card on the machine. "You and I dating each other's friends doesn't tend to end well, does it?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. Grace was still standing there, watching both of us with a curious expression on her face. The girl really loved drama.

"Why don't you walk with me, Ana?" he suggested. "I think we should have a chat."

"You want me to walk me to your date?" I said, irritated.

"Yes, Ana, you dropping me off at my date is my dream come true." He grinned again and turned to walk out of the café. "Come on, then, let's go."

"Didn't even give me a choice," I muttered, but walked with him anyway, waving goodbye to Grace. I did have some things to ask him, whether I wanted to admit that or not.

"So, Ana," Dylan said casually as we walked. "Last time I saw you, you were shouting at me."

"Yes, I remember," I said, "because you upset Alice. Again."

"Did I? I was so drunk I don't remember much." He shrugged. "It was a wild party."

I gritted my teeth. "She was supposed to drive me home that night. She got so upset that she got piss-drunk and I had to call her brother to pick us up."