Chapter 4

"Evan," Danny said

"Evan," Danny said. He sat in the last row of the empty movie theater with his head hanging over the back of the seat, trying to glimpse  what Evan was doing behind him. Halfway upside-down, he repeated, "Evan..."

"I'm almost done," Evan promised.

Evanwas looping a filmstrip through an old projector while Danny sat impatiently.

Danny sighed and repositioned himself restlessly. "You know," he told Evan. "We don't have to watch a movie."

"You'll like this movie," Evan assured Danny, toying with the sprockets inside the camera.

Danny took a bored bite of red licorice. "I've already seen Risky Business," he warned Evan, still partially chewing.

Evan grinned to himself. "It's not Risky Business."

Danny was swallowing his candy when the screen brightened. Before he could even focus on the film, his attention went straight to Evan as he climbed over the theater seat next to him. He landed with a thud and snatched Danny's bag of licorice.

"I don't know why you like these," Evan said, rustling the bag of candy ropes. "They taste like candle wax."

Danny grabbed the bag. "They taste like cherries," he stated, pointing to the writing on the package.

Rolling his eyes, Evan settled into his seat and shifted his gaze to the screen. "False advertising," he replied.

Danny took another bite. "Some people might say the same about you," he mumbled, not taking his eyes off Evan.

The boy in the hat turned his face toward Danny.

"Me?" Evan questioned, feigning shock to hide his knowing smile. "Are you implying that I false advertise?"

"You advertise your ass pretty well in those jeans," Danny said, continuing to chew his licorice. "Tricking everyone into thinking they have a chance." To Danny, they were exclusively dating, even if they were a secret. Even tended to conveniently avoid that conversation.

Evan acted confused. "And who says they don't have a chance with my ass?"

Danny didn't look amused, so Evan paired his teasing with a pinch-like kiss. When he pulled away, Danny was still frowning like he had just been told to wash a pile of dirty dishes. Evan kissed him again, but the brown-eyed boy remained unfazed. The swimmer kept bringing their lips together as if he could tattoo a smile onto Danny's mouth, but the frowner only moved his mouth enough to welcome the action.