Chapter 39

East Dundee quarry was overrun with cigarette butts, bird carcasses, and teenagers with bad habits

East Dundee quarry was overrun with cigarette butts, bird carcasses, and teenagers with bad habits. The abandoned cavern of limestone was so deep that the man-drilled reservoir was always in the shade, keeping the water too cold to swim. The only people who hung around the rocky landscape were the kinds of people who regularly avoided school or law enforcement, or both.

Danny had ventured into the pit of stone half a dozen times, but he hadn't been a constant visitor since the beginning of high school. There was a time when getting high and breaking things felt like his only purpose in life – before Evan.

And now he was back, and he wanted to forget he had ever left.

"Danny," Tony Valenti smiled wickedly. "Long time, no see. I barely recognize you without your leather."

Danny approached a group of rough-set guys. They looked old enough to be in college, all smoking some sort of stub. Some substances looked more illegal than others.

"Hey, Tony," he greeted.

"And where's Daddy Bones?" Tony asked, sitting on the highest rock like the king of trouble. "Too busy playing husband?"

"Something like that."

"Never thought I'd see the day he went soft," Tony shook his head. "Stick with me, Herrera. I won't let that happen to you." He held up a slim, offering it to Danny.

Smoking green didn't sound bad, but it made him think of Jackson. He didn't want to be reminded of the redhead that ruined his life. He didn't want to think of anything. He wanted an escape. He was tired of trying to dodge the constant reminders of Evan's face.

Time seemed to move so slow every time he wanted Evan out of his head. How was Danny supposed to ask the pretty boy to leave when he already left?

"Got anything stronger?" Danny asked. Something that could be an eviction notice for his past.

Tony's smile was sinister, eager for an impressionable apprentice.