Chapter 42

"High school dances are like preteen zits," Jackson said, trying to loosen the strap on his masquerade mask

"High school dances are like preteen zits," Jackson said, trying to loosen the strap on his masquerade mask. "You can't get rid of them. They keep happening. And they're fucking pointless."

Evan watched as Jackson tangled his hair into an ugly, knotted bow at the back of his head, wincing at the tug. 

"Let me do it," Evan requested. He set down his glass of punch and stepped closer to the redhead. Jackson didn't resist the help.

Heather had arranged the spring dance to resemble the Renaissance era. There was a cardboard castle along the far side of the gym and green streamers hanging from the ceiling to look like ivy. Every single balloon was a shade of gold or bronze, complementing the dim fake candles in strategically-placed sconces. They looked too Shakespearean to be from L. Fish Furniture. Evan guessed the props were taken from the theater department – like Jackson's ruffled, cream-color attire.

"And why do I have to wear this?" Jackson adjusted his tux. "I feel like a penguin."

Evan pursed a smirk, securing the mask behind Jackson's head with a pull. "I guess I shouldn't expect you to take me to prom."

"No," Jackson stated, still not facing the taller boy. "Fuck prom."

When Jackson turned around, Evan gave him a satisfied look. The red-haired boy had chosen the simplest mask design, framing only his eyes with silver satin. Evan didn't argue with his choice because he actually preferred to see the freckles on Jackson's cheeks instead of some over-sparkly disguise.

For himself, though – Evan had picked something rightfully ostentatious. To match his hair, he opted for a pearl-toned phantom style. It was completely bedazzled with clear rhinestones, tuft with white feathers, and coiled with lace – giving him an illusory winged-like crown. His whole mouth and left eye were still visible, so he had brushed some glitter onto his lips and jawline to be unapologetically gaudy.

"You're staring," Evan said.

Jackson didn't deny it, nor did he look away.

Evan tightened his own mask. "You don't like it?"

"I, um...," Jackson started. "I just...I never thought I'd be the guy standing in front of you...Telling you how good you look."

Evan's grin widened. "Which guy did you think you'd be? In your make-believe scenario."

"I'd be the guy in the corner," Jackson said. "Wishing he could dance with you. Like homecoming."

"Homecoming – ?"

"Guys," Heather interrupted. "Have you seen Nadine?"

Her dress looked like an upside-down cupcake made of tulle, along with fishnet gloves to match.

"Bones took her home," Evan said. "Her feet were swollen."

Heather pouted. "But she didn't even stay long enough to see my moonwalk. I practiced."