Chapter 27

"WELCOME to Lincoln High School's Semi-Final Swim Meet!" The loud speakers boomed through the humid pool room as Evan and Jackson found their way to their assigned lanes

"Ready to lose, Webby Boy?" Jackson taunted.

Evan pulled his goggles over his eyes. "I'm ready to watch you take home another silver medal," he replied. "Or maybe a bronze this time?"

Jackson's jaw locked.

"Event number twenty-three is the Boys 50-Meter Freestyle," the announcer stated. "Swimmers take your marks."

All the swimmers stooped over their starting blocks, preparing to jump into the water. The entire row of high schoolers consisted of lanky boys pining for a chance to qualify for the state championships. Both Jackson and Evan represented Lincoln High School, but only one of them would be allowed to continue to the next competition. Jackson had an infuriating desire to win this particular match since it was his last year of high school – and his last chance to impress on-looking colleges.

The horn sounded and the boys dove into the water with calculated grace. As soon as Evan splashed the surface, Nadine perked up.

"He's swimming," Nadine nudged Bones. "He's swimming."

Bones jolted awake, following Nadine's sightline. "Thank God," he mumbled, blinking to be more alert.

They were at the top of the bleachers, leaning against a soggy bulletin board. Nadine had made an effort to come and support her brother, but she didn't realize that swim meets were so long and boring. Most of the morning was spent sitting around, munching popcorn, and getting stuck in the back with protruding staples.

Bones and Nadine cheered as Evan took the lead. His strokes were broad and unyielding, slicing through the water with arrow-like swiftness. He left a trail of splashes behind him, with Jackson being the only one challenging his position. They both flipped forward and pushed off the wall under the water, propelling the two boys into their last lap.

Jackson had caught up to Evan, honing his focus on the edge of the pool with adrenaline-induced power. Evan wasn't slowing down, though. He matched Jackson's pace until the last kick, reaching the wall with relief.

All the coaches clicked their stopwatches as each swimmer finished. Each looked up as the times were being listed on the scoreboard. Some cheered, and some frowned.

"Evan Webster takes first place with less than a second ahead of his fellow teammate Jackson Dougherty," the announcer declares. "Very close race. Congratulations to Evan who will be representing Lincoln High School in the state championships!"

Jackson had already hopped out of the water.

"That's BULLSHIT!" Jackson fumed, ripping off his swim cap and goggles. "We hit the wall at the same time."

"It was close," Coach Farley said. "But Evan was three milliseconds faster."

Jackson almost howled with frustration. "That could be a clocking error!"

"I clocked your time myself," Coach Farley admitted.

"Then you fucked up!"

"I think you need to take a seat—"

"I want a damn rematch," Jackson insisted.

"Jackson—"

"A REMATCH!" He shouted, turning to Evan. "Right fucking now, Webby Boy."

It wasn't the fact that Evan got everything he wanted—because that wasn't true. It was the fact that Jackson felt like Evan took everything away from him. He was used to being second place in swimming, but now, he was second place in swimming and Danny's mind. The pattern had become too hard for him to accept.

"Jackson," Evan tried to make his voice light. "The race is over. We can't –"

"Did you pay Coach Farley to make sure you got first place?" Jackson asked, stepping too close. "Bride him? I know you love giving away dollars."

Evan's mouth stammered.

Jackson continued, shoving Evan. He seethed, "Whose dick did you suck to win?"

"JACKSON!" Coach Farley yelled. "Enough. You're suspended from this competition. Effective immediately."

Jackson's nostrils flared, inhaling sharply before he crashed through the exit doors and into the connected locker room. He quickly changed into dry clothes, forgetting to take his jacket as he left on his skateboard.