Chapter 51

The third-quarter moon was reflecting off the shiny black hood of Danny's Corvette

The third-quarter moon was reflecting off the shiny black hood of Danny's Corvette. Dusk had claimed the hour, but Evan was too preoccupied to notice. He kept imaging Jackson sleeping in a tiny bunker. Maybe the confinement would remind him of home—of his small metallic trailer in Des Plaines. Maybe he'd dream of Evan. Or Danny. He didn't care who he thought about, as long as he was happy.

Danny pulled over to the side of the road and put his gearshift into park. The engine still hummed, letting a low rumble pass under their seats. He smoothed his hands around the steering wheel in an awkward attempt to act casual, but Evan could sense his concern. He side-eyed Danny, catching sight of the key-chain dangling from the ignition switch. There was a silver key that had appeared after they had left the airport. It was too small to be for a car or a deadbolt, but it was the perfect size for a miniature doorknob.

"He's not coming back, is he?" Evan rendered.

Danny only glanced at Evan, dropping his gaze with the shake of his head—affirming Evan's assumption.

Evan should've expected it, but in truth, he actually thought Jackson was going to return. He didn't think he was saying an indefinite goodbye, but he wasn't surprised either. Jackson understood how stale farewells could taste—whether it was for a mother or a lover.

Evan nodded once, gathering his thoughts. Danny let him sit in silence, willing to remain with him forever.

The car was still vibrating when Evan reached forward, twisting the key out of the ignition. The engine halted and Evan swung open his door. He stepped out of the car without a word, leaving Danny confused.

"Evan," Danny said from his seat. The tall boy shut the door and started walking to his front porch.

He heard Danny's voice, but he didn't turn around. His feet strode at a casual pace toward his house, only wanting to be inside.

"Evan," Danny's volume raised, leaning out the window. "I can't go anywhere without my keys."

"I know," Evan replied without looking back.

Danny wrestled with his seatbelt. "W-wait a second." He struggled to get out of the car fast enough. "Conejito! I need my keys."

The sprinklers were active, spraying Danny's shoes as he leapt over grass to follow Evan. The streetlamp wasn't bright enough to illuminate the whole terrain, so he tripped over a patch of tulips and tracked some mud onto the doormat before finally fumbling through the front door.

The dense humidity leaked into the air-conditioned home as Evan moved through his front hallway. Mr. Webster barely had time to greet his son with a smile, asking, "Guess what I taught Clem?"

Evan ignored him, already stalking upstairs with Danny tailing his direction.

"Evan," Danny jabbered, hurrying his feet as he dirtied the floor runner and shook the railing with his heavy stomps. Mr. Webster watched the two boys whiz upstairs without scolding, almost amused at the whole ordeal.

Nadine floated into the foyer, curious about the commotion. She was rocking Clem to sleep as she stood beside her dad. He waited for the slam of Evan's bedroom door before he raised an eyebrow and asked, "Boyfriend or friend?"

Nadine adjusted Clem in her arms. "Undetermined."

In fact, they were exactly that—undefined. A scribble in a notebook at best. Evan had doodled hearts around Danny's name in pretty pen ink and then crossed it out with just as much haste. He'd drawn an arrow to Jackson's name, only to send it flying back to Danny. The line was jagged and distorted, like it had taken a dozen detours. There was no more space on the page. Evan wanted to crumple it up, throw it away, and start again.

Danny rarely opened a notebook, but he regularly opened a car hood. He'd seen a lot of broken parts, and if had learned anything at his father's auto shop, it was that a car could always be salvaged. There was never an engine so wrecked that Danny was too afraid to fix.