Chapter 12 A Worthy King

•• RHIAN'S POV ••

The sky was clear and only a few tufts of clouds could be seen floating in the air. The weather brought promise. It was like the skies themselves were letting Rhian know that today was going to be a good day.

After all, today was the day of Rhian and Sophie's Blessing. Before they could properly be married, Rhian and Sophie were required to attend the church and receive the local priest's blessing. King Arthur and Guinevere had once had to receive the church's approval before getting married, and as King Arthur's heir, Rhian too had to acquire the Church's holy blessing in order to take Sophie's hand in marriage.

If Rhian could skip the blessing altogether, he would. But he knew the church's holy blessing was vital for him and Sophie to unite as man and wife. Also, part of Rhian felt that he was obligated to gain the Church's blessing because it was the same thing his father had done when he married Guinevere.

"Are we almost there yet?" Sophie's voice startled Rhian from his thoughts.

Rhian and Sophie were sitting across from each other in a carriage as it slowly inched along down the roads of the Camelot village. Through the carriage window, Rhian saw villagers and residents from various kingdoms crowded on the roads, struggling to reach the carriage. They chanted Sophie and Rhian's names and yelled praises.

"The crowds are blocking the roads," Rhian told Sophie, glancing over at her to see that she was examining her nails in boredom. "Our arrival to the church is delayed because of that. At the pace we're headed, I'd say we'll arrive to the church in half an hour or so."

Sophie raised her emerald gaze and gave him an annoyed look. Rhian felt the hairs on the back of his neck dampen with sweat as nervousness overcame him.

Sophie had been less than enthusiastic about headed to the church in the first place. She'd been even more stubborn when she realized she'd be riding in a carriage with Rhian to said church. Rhian had to remind her yet again what would happen if she didn't play the part of his beloved queen before Sophie got the memo and reluctantly got in the carriage with him.

Rhian hated being the bad guy towards Sophie. He hated threatening her by using her love for her friends against her, but he couldn't risk her ruining everything he'd built up.

Just yesterday afternoon, Sophie and Rhian had had their first dance at the ball. Sophie had obviously loathed every second of the dance session, but Rhian had hoped that deep down she would've been impressed by his skills and compassion as he twirled her around the dance floor. He hoped she would see the good side of him, the side of him that didn't want to harm any of her friends, and the side of him that was eager to win her forgiveness no matter what it took.

But alas, his hopes had not come to fruition. To Sophie, Rhian was an imposter who lied and deceived her and had thrown her friends in the dungeons. So far, he'd given her nothing to indicate that he was nothing more but a manipulative backstabbing liar.

But Rhian wanted to change that. He was to soon take Sophie as his wife, and if they were to be married, Sophie would at least have to tolerate him if not love him. Sophie tolerating him at least was requisite for them to have an okay marriage.

"It'd be easier for us to just walk," Sophie said aloud, glaring out the window at all the crowds crammed in the roads as the carriage continued to move along at a snail's pace. "In fact, I'll just get out here. You can meet me at the church—"

Sophie grabbed the door handle and flung open the carriage door, about to leap out, but Rhian grabbed her wrist to stop her.

"Wait," he said. "You can't just go out there, Sophie. "Those crowds will be upon you in a matter of seconds. Have patience here."