Chapter 16 Revelations

•• RHIAN'S POV ••

Rhian never thought the sight of the  sunrise could give him such feelings of pain and sadness. Sunrises were meant to be a symbolism of hope and an indicator that a new day was to begin.

But this morning's sunrise wasn't as bright or golden as the other ones Rhian had come to witness in his life. This particular sunrise was a deep red, and the sun's rays bathed Camelot in an ominous red hue. Rhian was sickened at the thought that this morning's sunrise made it look like Camelot was being bathed in blood. Perhaps, the sunrise was just trying to mentally help prepare Rhian for the execution of Tedros, Agatha, and all the other people that had been imprisoned in the dungeons alongside them.

Tedros had been taken into the dining hall along with all the other Camelot prisoners just before sunrise where they would eat the big meal Rhian had ordered to be set out for them.

Rhian could barely sleep last night after Japeth had arrived back to Camelot from Nottingham, hurt and obviously in a foul mood. Japeth had gone off on his concerns about Sophie and the upcoming execution again, much to Rhian's dismay who was still hesitant about executing the Camelot prisoners.

Rhian couldn't stop thinking about what he was gonna do last night when the execution came around. It was too late to change the execution date since all the rulers had already gathered in Camelot that morning. The rulers expected an execution. They expected to see the traitor King and Queen's heads roll, but Rhian only felt queasy just thinking about Tedros and Agatha getting beheaded.

Rhian wasn't much fond of death and blood unlike Japeth who'd already killed numerous people during his time as the Snake. Perhaps that made Rhian weaker than Japeth if he couldn't even stomach the thought of their half brother's head getting cut off.

But Tedros and Agatha hadn't even been convinced to swear their loyalty to Rhian, and as much as Rhian wanted to show them mercy, he knew letting Camelot traitors off so easily wasn't gonna go well with the other rulers.

Rhian still felt conflicted as he stood on the balcony, looking out over the courtyard where the other rulers were already beginning to gather to wait for the execution to start.

Sophie hadn't emerged from her room yet, even after Rhian had knocked on her door. Rhian could only assume Sophie couldn't bear to go outside, not knowing if her friends were all gonna die in front of her or not.

While Japeth had been gone getting the Sheriff's ring, Rhian and Sophie had spent most of the day together, finally getting to know each other like two strangers becoming acquainted. At the end of the day, Rhian couldn't help but feel even more attracted to Sophie, and it seemed Sophie had warmed up to him even more than before.

They'd talked for hours about random things. Rhian had listened to Sophie express her frustrations about being Evil's Dean, and Rhian had told her loving stories about his mother, the one person Rhian ached for with all his heart. Rhian could only suspect that the reason for Sophie's sudden openness was because she was trying to distract herself from thinking about the execution, so Rhian worked to distract her mind from her friends' possible deaths the best he could.

But now, Rhian could no longer try to delay the inevitable or distract Sophie from what was to come. The execution was here, and there was no ignoring it.

Rhian scanned the Camelot Courtyard with its neatly trimmed hedges and circular paved walkways. The wooden stage loomed at the very end of the courtyard, about four feet tall and upon that stage was a wooden block, narrow enough for someone's neck to be stretched out on. A large intricately woven basket rested just below this wooden block, perfectly in place to catch any rolling heads.