Chapter 3 Right Here

~JAPETH'S POV~

Being stuck in a magical sack was not something Japeth was particularly fond of. He didn't know how much time had passed since those pathetic heroes had gotten the best of him and thrown him in the Nottingham jail.

When Japeth was finally freed, he was surprised to find Kei and two pirates had been the ones to save him. Of course, Japeth had known Rhian had been in cahoots with Kei for weeks now ever since Rhian had informed Kei of his plans to take over Camelot. But seeing Kei now, after weeks, was like a big punch to Japeth's face.

Kei had left Rhian behind by choice. He'd left to do EverGuard Trials to serve Tedros as a knight of Camelot. But Rhian believed that he was the heir of Camelot and had believed Kei had betrayed him to serve a false king.

Japeth had never been particularly fond of Kei. He'd always found Kei to be an incompetent boy who would never reach his full potential so long as he remained friends with Rhian.

But it wasn't Kei's personality or past actions that made Japeth so perturbed by the sight of him. It was Kei's presence itself that felt like a big punch to Japeth's face.

Seeing Kei made Japeth envious of his brother because at least Kei was here now. Rhian's old friend was alive while Japeth's friend was dead.

But at least Japeth had had a better friend than Rhian did. Kei had left Rhian behind by choice while Aric had been forced to leave. Japeth knew that Aric would've stayed with him if he could, but it just wasn't possible.

After breaking out of the Nottingham prison, Japeth set off back towards camp. From Kei he'd learned that Rhian had gone on a date with Sophie, Tedros, and Tedros's princess, Agatha.

Japeth couldn't help but feel bitter at the thought of his brother having a grand time with two girls and a boy Rhian believed was his half brother. Perhaps Rhian was pretending to enjoy himself on his date, but that didn't change the fact that Rhian was dining in luxurious fashion and probably eating food that far exceeded the taste of stale bread and sour beans him and Japeth ate as their daily meals.

Jealousy wormed its way into Japeth's heart, jealousy he couldn't push away as he stormed back to camp. There was a bitter taste that stuck to the roof of Japeth's mouth that he couldn't swallow down when he pictured Rhian flirting with Sophie.

Ever since he'd found out that his father was Rafal, Japeth had had an inner hatred towards the girl who'd killed him. All Sophie was was a stuck up little girl who cared more about herself than anyone else. Selfish and vain is what she was.

It was just plain ironic that the girl Japeth loathed would have to marry his brother.

Leaves crunched beneath Japeth's feet as he hurried back to camp. The sky had darkened overhead and above the treetops, Japeth caught sight of the crescent moon. For a moment, he faltered, staring up at the sliver of moon as if it was a sight he couldn't tear his gaze away from.

Japeth recalled a memory he'd once had. A memory of him and Aric staring up at the night sky, at the beautiful full moon as they sat atop a roof together in Arbed.

Perhaps a moment like that would never come around again. But in order to get past that impossibility, Japeth had to do the impossible; return Aric from the dead.

Japeth continued along, drawing closer and closer to camp. Through the trees, he caught sight of a flash of white. When he emerged into the secluded little clearing him and Rhian had set up camp in,he was greeted by his mother's dress laying over a fallen log. Him and Aric's tattered blanket was still hanging on a tree branch just where he'd left it but it was Evelyn's dress that made Japeth narrow his eyes in suspicion.