Chapter 27 Fire and Ash

~JAPETH'S POV~

There was once a time when Japeth expected to attend his brother's wedding.

Rhian and Sophie wold be married and while Japeth had dreaded the idea of his brother and his father's ex girlfriend being husband and wife, he also had hoped that their marriage would truly be the last step Rhian needed to take to attain the powers of the One True king and grant Japeth's only wish.

But things had changed. Japeth's Expectations had been long thrown out the window. Because now he was going to get married to Sophie, not Rhian. He was going to fulfill the prophecy and grant his own wish.

Japeth stared up at the inky black sky of his thinking place, watching him and Aric's initials swirling about the darkness as if giving him hope that him and Aric would be back together soon enough.

But if there was anything Japeth knew, it was that hope didn't last forever.

Beside him, he heard a soft groan. He looked over and watched Sophie stir. She was curled up on a green cloud. Her skin was sweaty and her hair fanned her face. Evelyn's white dress was no longer white at all. Instead, the white had morphed into a deep red color, the same scarlet red as the spot of blood that had seeped from Sophie's stab wound.

Sophie had fallen unconscious from the pain. Japeth didn't have time to take her back to Camelot with her being injured and his enemies still out there. So he had conjured up his thinking place to shield them from the world and nurse Sophie until she was at least strong enough to move on her own.

For now, all Japeth could do was bandage Sophie's wound with a Scim to stop the bleeding. But if her fever didn't go down soon, Japeth feared she wouldn't make it through.

And if it couldn't get any worse, Japeth knew him and Sophie's time in his thinking place would be limited. The air was thin here. If they were to overextend their stay, they would be in big trouble.

So Japeth struggled to come up with a plan to evade his enemies and marry Sophie without a hitch. It wouldn't be that hard really to rush to Camelot and throw a last second wedding.

But there was something holding Japeth back.

He had never anticipated that Sophie would regain her old memories before him and her were married. But then she did and as soon as she did, the only girl Japeth had ever grown so close to was gone.

And what was Japeth to do now? Why was he delaying bringing Aric back just because he'd lost the one person who'd helped him through his pain over losing Rhian? The one person who made him feel not so alone.

Japeth felt a mixture of emotions stir in his gut. He hated that Sophie was back to loathing him. He hated that he couldn't just bring Aric back knowing that Sophie was no longer faithful and devoted to him. But it wasn't just her faithfulness and devotion that Japeth had grown so fond of. He'd grown fond of her supportiveness and her companionship.

Unfortunately for Japeth, Sophie no longer wanted to support him or be by his side.

The old Japeth might've been fine with that. In the past, he would've accepted Sophie's newfound disdain for him and would laugh at the thought of Sophie having a sliver of compassion towards him.