Surprise!

Katelyn's POV

"WE NEED MORE BALLOONS!!"

Kawaii~Chan was running around screaming this and other very helpful tips to anybody who had ears. Katelyn almost brought out a cucumber from the fridge just to get her to shut up. Almost.

The room was complete chaos. Katelyn had arranged a welcome home party for Aphmau and Travis when they got back from Starlight. While they were being kept for observation by the Guardian Forces, nobody was allowed to visit them for "reasons" (as the Guardian Forces liked to phrase it.). Katelyn fumed even thinking about it. They were FINALLY out of harms reach, and then her best friend and boyfriend get taken away from her? It wasn't fair. 

So, to celebrate Aphmau and Travis' return, they had planned to set up a massive party in Aph and Aaron's house. With a punch bowl, chocolate fountain, streamers, at least 5 banners, confetti cannons, a DJ, and balloons.

Katelyn had planned everything perfectly. A week before the planned event, she sat down and thought 'There's nothing that'll get in my way!'

But, of course, that's when everything went wrong.

Katelyn got a call that same day from the Guardian Forces with amazing news: Aphmau and Travis finished their observation early! They were going to be there by tonight instead of next week.

So Katelyn punched a wall to get out her anger (which REALLY hurt) and called the rest of the gang to tell them the news. And now here they were, trying to set up the party as quickly as possible and in complete chaos. The DJ couldn't make it on such short notice, 2 of the banners were still being designed, and, as Kawaii~Chan kept reminding everyone, a dozen of their balloons weren't due until the next day.

While Zane tried to calm down Kawaii~Chan, Lucinda walked over to Katelyn and helped her pin up the last banner. They had really found the best designer, because this banner was beautiful. The words "WELCOME HOME!" were calligraphied in gorgeous penmanship, and under it was a painting of Aphmau and Travis walking together. Katelyn sighed. She couldn't wait to see those two doofuses.

Ever since Lucinda saved Katelyn from the forever potion in Starlight, they had become more friends than enemies. Katelyn felt she owed Lucinda for it, so when Lucinda came over to help, Katelyn just said "No, I've got it." 

After she had pinned up the last corner, Katelyn climbed down the ladder and checked her phone. No texts yet. Katelyn relaxed her shoulders and set her phone back on the table. Melissa was picking up Aphmau and Travis from the boat, and she was supposed to text Katelyn when they were 10 minutes away. But as long as Melissa didn't text her, they still had plenty of time. 

"Are you excited to see Travis and Aph?" Lucinda asked. 

"You have no idea," Katelyn said. She walked over to the confetti cannons and started filling them. Lucinda followed as she continued talking. "I've been waiting for this moment for 2 whole months. Do you know how long that is for me not to see Aph? I haven't been this far away from her for so long since... high school!"

Katelyn stuffed confetti into the last cannon as Lucinda said, "Honestly, I'm a little worried about her. I don't know if 2 months was enough time for her to recover from... you know." 

Katelyn followed her gaze and bit her lip. Aaron. Over the last 2 months, he had learned to trust we were who we said we were: his friends. He had really become the closest with Garroth, though, which was usually who he told important things, like if he remember something from his past. Unfortunately, that wasn't very often. Most of his memories contained someone named Shu, who was apparently girl from his high school, but Katelyn had never heard of her. But over the weeks, Aaron had also become much more upbeat and little more like himself. Katelyn was grateful for that. Now he was standing by the punch bowl, laughing as he talked to Garroth. Aaron couldn't really help decorate because of his blindness, which he was still getting used to. It looked like Garroth was telling him a story. 'Probably something about doors,' Katelyn thought. 'It's always about doors.'

Katelyn had just finished stuffing the last confetti cannon when her phone binged. Katelyn scrambled to the table and picked it up. It was Melissa. "10 minutes away!! Hope you're ready."

Confetti. Banners. Chocolate fountain. Punch bowl. Streamers. Katelyn slumped onto the couch and exhaled a breath she'd been holding this entire time. They had actually done it in time! 

At that exact moment, Kawaii~Chan jumped onto the couch from behind and sat next to Katelyn. "Katelyn~Sama, where are the balloons? Kawaii~Chan hasn't seen them," she asked.

Crap! Katelyn stood up so fast she got dizzy. It didn't matter, though. The balloons! How could she forget? Kawaii~Chan was shouting about them this entire time!

"I forgot to get the balloons!" Katelyn shouted. She ran to the door and was about to open it, but Lucinda stopped her. "It takes 10 minutes to get to Walmart from here. By the time you get back, you'll have missed them coming home. It's not worth it," she said. Her face lit up. "But wait! I can just teleport there and get them!"

Before Katelyn could say something, Lucinda started chanting in a foreign launguage. A faint aura of orange light started to form around her, slowly dissolving her from sight. Katelyn was about to congratulate her when the aura's light sputtered like a candle. 

"Come on, work with me," Lucinda muttered. Ever since turning into a relic, Lucinda's magic had been a lot weaker than before Starlight. It had gotten better over time, but she still struggled a lot. Finally, the orange aura disappeared in a wisp of orange smoke, like someone had blown it out. Lucinda collapsed to the ground, tired from the tremendous effort. It was the farthest she had gotten with her magic since Starlight. 'It must have taken a lot of strength,' Katelyn thought as she and Kawaii~Chan hauled her onto the couch. 

Laurance, who was on look-out duty, ran over to Katelyn. "No time for balloons! They're in the driveway!"

"Everyone, hide!" Katelyn yelled. Then she slapped Lucinda on the cheek. "Get up, idiot! They're here!"

Katelyn crouched behind the couch next to Zane and Lucinda, whom she had to keep slapping to keep her from drifting to sleep. Katelyn clutched the remote for the confetti cannons and listened carefully. Her palms were sweaty. She hadn't noticed how nervous she was to see Aphmau and Travis again. What if they had decided they didn't like her anymore? What if they didn't like the party? What if the Guardian Forces had tricked them, and they weren't actually sending them home? 

Katelyn luckily didn't have much time with her thoughts before she heard the sound of keys jingling outside. This was it. She was finally going to see Aphmau and Travis is person! 

Katelyn heard the door creak open and they all shot up from their hiding spots. 

"SURPRISE!"