Seeing Clearly

Travis' POV 

"What's going on? Why is everyone here? Is everything okay?" Travis asked. He was deeply confused. Aphmau had called everyone to Aaron's house for an "exciting announcement." He was a little nervous because the last few "exciting announcements" he had heard were ones about death and misery.

"Stop worrying Not Alone Buddy," Aphmau said as she walked over to him. "This is good news! Well, mostly..."

Travis did not stop worrying. "What do you mean 'mostly?'"

Before Aphmau could answer him, Melissa called for everyone's attention. Her and Aaron were facing away from their friends, which Travis thought was weird. 

"Attention, everyone!" Melissa's voice cut through the confusion. Everyone stopped talking at once, anxious to see what this "exciting announcement" was. "Aaron and I have something we need to tell you!" Melissa turned her head towards Aaron. "Ready?"

Aaron nodded and they turned around. 

Everyone gasped except for Travis. He didn't see anything different with them. Did they get new haircuts or something? Maybe they bought new shoes? 

"I don't get it," Travis shouted. Katelyn, who was right next to him, punched him in the arm. "Owwwwww," he complained.

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "Look at their faces."

Travis scanned both Aaron and Melissa's faces for signs of difference. Same hairline, same face structure, same werewolf ears...Travis still had absolutely no clue what they were trying to convey.

Katelyn looked at him expectantly, but Travis just shook his head. "Still don't get it." Katelyn punched him in the arm again. "Stop itttt!" He whined.

"Since you're so oblivious, look at their eyes, dummy," Katelyn sighed. "Honestly, sometimes I question your eye doctor when he says you have 20/20 vision."

Travis looked at the Lycan siblings' eyes. Aaron still has his pitch black eyes and- Travis stopped. Wait, Aaron's eyes are black? I thought they were white because he was blind! Wait, this means he got his sight back! That's amazing! Travis moved on to Melissa's eyes. They're still that beautiful gold color, so I- Travis looked closer. No, no no no! Her eyes are white now! Which means...

"I took a potion from my sister that switched our vision," Aaron said. "I now have my sight back, but Melissa has taken on my burden of blindness." He turned to his sister. "Thank you, Melissa. You're the best sister I've ever had." He hugged her as tears started falling down her face.

Travis had very mixed feelings about this situation. On one hand, he was so excited for Aaron! His buddy had been through way too much in the past two years. It made Travis happy that something had finally went right for the guy. Plus, now that he could see, things might jog his memory! Like seeing his bedroom, or his sister, or Aph.

And while all of this made Travis feel warm and fuzzy and full of hope, it didn't quite meet his sadness for Melissa. Like her brother, she had already been through too much. She had been forced to hide her ears and tail (along with her personality) for her whole life, and once she finally got to, she was attacked by the Guardian Forces. They killed her mom, her dad, and almost even her. Travis felt especially horrible thinking about that part. He knew what it was like to lose a parent, and it wasn't a fun time. And, once Melissa got better from almost being killed, she came back to find the only remaining family she had didn't even remember her. Even then, she felt it was her job to help her little brother any way she could, even if it meant taking things away from herself. And on top of all of that, now she didn't even have her sight? Travis silently prayed that Melissa would get the happy ending she wanted. She deserved it.