An Idea

Garroth's POV

"So then I said, 'But if you did that, it would be obKNOCKxious!'" 

Aaron laughed, just like he had at all of Garroth's door jokes. He was excited that someone finally listened when he told them. But honestly, at this point, Garroth was running out. Aaron had kept asking for more the entire party, and for some reason they never got old to him.

Garroth still didn't like to call him Aaron. It didn't feel right. The Aaron he knew was usually the one who made the jokes. The Aaron he knew wouldn't have been talking to Garroth for the entire party, but would've been talking to and hugging his fiancée. The Aaron he knew would've told Garroth to stop at the first door joke he made that evening.

But this Aaron was so different. He didn't make jokes, but instead let other people make them. He listened to every single one of Garroth's door jokes (which was A LOT of jokes to listen to) and didn't even know he had a fiancée. And Aaron's eyes had gone from midnight black to a glossy white. 

The only thing he was glad about in this situation was that Aaron trusted Garroth with everything. So if he DID remember something (which unfortunately wasn't very often), he would immediately tell Garroth. It was something at least.

The most painful part for Garroth to watch, though, was before the party. They had been setting up in what was now just Aaron's house, and Garroth kept trying to talk to Aaron about their friends. 

"Are you excited?" Garroth would ask. "Travis and Aph are coming home! Aphmau is gonna be back!"

Aaron's eyes would glaze over, like he was trying to stare into the distance. He would open his mouth, like he was just about to remember something, and Garroth would get his hopes up. But then, instead of remembering something, Aaron would say, "Yeah, excited."

Garroth's spirits would drop a million feet. He could see Aaron was trying to remember. He really was. And he was so close, like the answer was on the tip of his tongue but he couldn't make sense of it. But he would get frustrated with it and give up.

The Aaron Garroth knew before wouldn't have given up like that so easily.

Out of the corner of his eye, Garroth saw Aphmau open the front door with a suitcase. She must be staying at someone else's house to give Aaron some space, Garroth thought. Garroth felt a pang of guilt upon seeing her. No matter how torn up Garroth was inside from what happened to to Aaron, Aphmau's pain would be 20 times worse. He couldn't imagine what she was going through. Aaron meant the world to her. To see him like this? To have him not remember who she was when just a year ago she was "the one" for him? Garroth wanted to go up to Aphmau and give her a giant hug just thinking about it. But he knew better. Aphmau wouldn't want them worrying about her, because then she would feel like she was taking everyone down with her. Garroth stood his ground as Aphmau closed the door behind her. 

"Garroth? Are you still there?"

Aaron's voice brought Garroth's attention back to him. Garroth shook the thoughts out of his head. "Yeah, I'm still here dude."

Aaron smiled. "Do you have any other door jokes, or did I wear you out?"

Garroth scoffed. "I'm never out of door jokes. That's why you aDOOR me."

Aaron laughed. Garroth wiped the kitchen counter with a paper towel to get off all of the chocolate that had escaped the fountain. Suddenly, he heard someone yell from the other side of the room, "WHAT?!?"

Garroth jumped back so far he hit the stove. He thought that he and Aaron were the last people there, but he must have been wrong. He looked over by the fire place and saw Lucinda and Melissa talking in hushed tones. 

"Hold on. I'll be back, Aaron," Garroth said. He put his paper towel down and walked over to the girls.

"...but I don't know if it will even work," Lucinda was saying. 

"What're you guys talking about?" Garroth said. 

Melissa and Lucinda jumped a little when he spoke. "Oh, Garroth!" Melissa said. "We were talking about..."

Melissa and Lucinda exchanged nervous looks. Lucinda shook her head vigorously. 

Melissa turned back to Garroth. "It's nothing. Nothing at all. Okay, great to see you! Byeeee!" She started to push Garroth back towards the kitchen, but Garroth resisted. 

"Spill the tea, sis," Garroth said. "What were you ACTUALLY talking about?"

Lucinda sighed. "Fine. But you can't tell anyone this, especially Aphmau."

"Okay."

"Lucinda was telling me about an idea she had," Melissa explained. "She read up on amnesia before the party, and a lot of the articles mentioned that if they see significant things from their childhood or people that mean a lot to them, it can jog their memory and they'll remember more and more. So if we got some pictures of Aaron's parents and maybe some of his childhood friends, he might remember them!"

"That's a great idea, except for one tiny problem." Garroth pointed at his eyes. "He wouldn't be able to see the pictures."

"But what if," Lucinda said, "we gave Aaron his sight back?"

Garroth's jaw dropped to the floor. "B-but that's crazy! How would you do that? Get him mechanical eyes or something?"

Lucinda gave him a look that he was used to: No you moron. "This town has plenty of powerful witches and wizards. Tomorrow we can go into town and look around, see if there's anyone who has magic powerful enough to cure Aaron's blindness. But since the blindness is an effect of being a relic, I don't know if any magic would be powerful enough to cure it. That's what I was just telling Melissa. I don't know if it'll work. But it's better that we try then never know. I would try to do it myself, but..." Lucinda faltered. Garroth recalled earlier when she tried to use a transporting spell, but had collapsed from the effort. She still hadn't gotten all of her magical powers back. 

Melissa patted her on the back supportively. "You'll get your magic back, don't worry."

Lucinda half-smiled.

Garroth remembered something from earlier in their conversation. "Hold on, before you told me all of this, you said not to tell anyone, especially Aphmau. Why especially Aphmau?"

"Aphmau will get her hopes up. She'll try not to, but if it's about Aaron, she'll want to believe it'll work. Then if it doesn't, she'll be disappointed," Melissa explained.

Garroth hadn't thought of that. It would be pretty awful if they told Aph they had a plan to bring back Aaron and it didn't work. She would just get heartbroken all over again. Garroth couldn't- no, wouldn't- let that happen to her. 

"Okay then. We'll go shopping tomorrow for a blindness cure," Garroth said. "How hard could that be?"

"Don't jinx us," Lucinda warned. 

The girls said goodnight and went back to their own houses. This left Garroth to clean up with Aaron. As he closed the door behind Melissa and Lucinda, Garroth couldn't help thinking if the roles were switched. If Aphmau had been in Aaron's state, what would Aaron have done? Would he be tearing apart the entire town looking for a cure or would he have sadly excepted her fate?

"Hey Garroth!" Aaron called from the kitchen. Garroth swiveled around at the sound of his name. "You still have to finish your list of of door jokes!" Aaron pushed.

Garroth smiled. He might as well enjoy using his door jokes while her could. "You just miss me because I'm so aDOORable."

Aaron laughed and hit the kitchen island. "It never gets old!" 

Oh yeah, Garroth thought. Tonight is going to open new doors for Aaron.

Hiya peoples! IZ me the writer! Sorry it took me a while to write this chapter, it got really warm here and I needed a break from writing this story for a bit. Thanks for reading this far! It must mean you actually like it! Or you just think I'm too aDOORable to leave alone! (I'm sorry I'll stop.) Oki, onto the next part!! Bai~ <3