The Empress

Melissa's POV

"You're going shopping...for doors?"

Aphmau asked Melissa, Garroth, and Lucinda this, giving them a skeptical look. No, they were not ACTUALLY going shopping for doors. They did that last week. They were really going into town to search for a powerful sorcerer who could maybe cure Aaron's blindness, like they had talked about the night before.

"Yep! Shopping for doors," Melissa lied. She felt terrible lying to Aphmau. She was like a little sister to Melissa, and that cute little face was just so hard to say no to! But they had all agreed last night: it wouldn't be fair to her if their plan didn't work. 

"Garroth broke my bedroom and closet doors a few days ago when we were playing Uno," Lucinda said. "You know how frustrated he gets when he doesn't win."

"If she had just played a blue zero, I could have won, but NOOOOO she HAD to play a green two," Garroth huffed. "I don't like the color green anymore."

Melissa wondered if Garroth was really good at lying or if he actually had a grudge against the color green.

Aphmau gave the three of them uncertain looks, like she was a mother who didn't believe her kids' side of the story. Melissa held her breath as Aphmau stared her down. After a few seconds, Aphmau sighed. "Well, Garroth does break a lot of doors. I can come and help pick out doors! I know your house pretty well and-

"No!" Lucinda shouted a little too loud. She cleared her throat. "Uh, I mean, that won't be necessary. I already brought Garroth and Melissa into this, I don't want to worry anyone else."

Aphmau shrugged. "Okay! Suit yourself. See you later then!" She closed the door and the three of them walked towards Melissa's car. 

*     *     *     *     *

Melissa, Garroth, and Lucinda collapsed in a small bakery. They had gone to every single sorcerer in town, and there were A LOT. They told their story to every one, and all of them replied that they didn't have enough experience/their magic wasn't strong enough to cure blindness, especially if it was caused by turning into a relic. One guy had even given them a card for his eye doctor. Lucinda had socked that one in the arm.

"We are NEVER going to find someone so powerful they can cure Aaron's blindness," Lucinda panted. Melissa thought she heard a tinge of annoyance in her voice. It's because she can't do anything, Melissa thought. Lucinda used to be the most powerful witch in their town. With a lot of hard work, she probably would've been able to cure Aaron's blindness. But now she couldn't even make a cat potion. She had to watch as one of her friends suffered and couldn't do anything about it. And ever since Lucinda lost her magic, she wasn't the same. She wasn't as sure of herself as she used to be. Melissa thought it was because when she was a witch, she knew she was powerful as heck. She could solve most of her problems with the right ingredients and enchantments, so she didn't have to worry about much. Lucinda didn't just lose her magic, she lost part of her personality. What makes her...Lucinda.

"Agreed," Garroth said. "We might as well just give up now. It was a good plan, Lucinda, but it just didn't work in our favor." Lucinda nodded in agreement. 

This snapped Melissa out of her thoughts. "What!? We can't lose hope! We will find someone who can make Aaron see again. I'll drive all the way to Hawaii if it helps him!"

Lucinda shook her head. "I'm sorry Melissa, there's nothing left we can do."

But Melissa didn't listen. She thought about her brother, who just a few months ago had been happy and engaged. She thought about Aphmau, who was probably bottling up all of her tears because she didn't want to worry anyone with them. Maybe Garroth and Lucinda could give up, but Melissa couldn't. She owed it to Aaron, the last family she had, and Aphmau, the kindest person she'd ever met. Melissa recalled the night before, when Aph had started crying and Melissa had comforted her. She couldn't just let Aphmau suffer. Big sisters don't do that.