Memories

Aaron's POV

Aaron remembered one thing for certain from his childhood: he hated washing dishes.

But his sister had given him this giant feast, so he felt obliged to clean up. My sister, Aaron thought. She could've kept her sight. I was doing okay without mine.

Okay, that wasn't really true. Aaron had HATED not being able to see things. It made it harder for him to envision memories because he didn't know what anything looked like. And when he couldn't remember things, it made him frustrated. He didn't remember who is parents were, or where he lived, or what his job was. His friends had to take care of him 24/7 because he couldn't even find bathroom without directions. He didn't WANT to be taken care of. But that didn't mean he didn't HAVE to be taken care of. 

Just like Melissa didn't HAVE to give Aaron his sight back. He would've been okay without it. He would've adjusted and learned to live life like that. And it wasn't fair that someone else had to be blind for him. Why couldn't it just go away? 

He had asked the same question to Melissa before they called everyone to his house. She had smiled and said, "Sometimes you can't make everyone happy, Aaron. You've got to make sacrifices, and this was one I was willing to take." 

Ugh, why did Melissa have to be such a good big sister?

Even so, Aaron couldn't say he wasn't happy to have his sight back. Of course he was! He just thought the price of happiness was a little too expensive.

Aaron kept scrubbing plates and bowls, taking in every color and every design. People take seeing for granted, he thought. I mean, I remembered something huge just because I could see!

That was right! He had remembered something significant earlier while talking to Travis: Shu. He didn't remember much about her, but the fact that he thought of her at all was a miracle! Shu was the one girl in high school he had ever gotten close to. Maybe, if he could find her again, she would bring back even more memories. 

But he hadn't seen her since high school. She probably didn't play that video game that they met on anymore, so he couldn't find her on there even if he remembered what the game was called. Plus, how was he supposed to know it was her if he couldn't even remember her face?

Knowing everything could and probably would go wrong for him when he tried to find Shu, Aaron banged his against the wall repeatedly. 

"Wow, is washing dishes really that bad?" Someone asked from behind him. Aaron stopped banging his head. When he was blind, the only way he could tell who was who was by their voice. Aaron had become pretty good at figuring out who's voice belonged to who, so immediately he knew the person behind him was Katelyn. 

Aaron turned around. "Hey Katelyn! Do you wanna help me wash the dishes?"

"Ummmm," Katelyn said, "Not really."

Aaron laughed. "I don't blame you. There's like, a MILLION of them. I didn't know I even owned this many plates!"

Katelyn smirked. "Hey, congrats on getting your sight back! I'm really happy for you." Katelyn hugged Aaron.

Aaron was very confused. Katelyn wasn't exactly the type to congratulate someone with a hug. She was more "Hey, good job doofus" and a punch in the arm. So Aaron was a little suspicious that Katelyn was hugging him. 

"Uh, yeah, I'm happy for me, too," Aaron said, still debating whether or not to hug her back. He wasn't exactly a touchy person, so these kinds of situations still came as a surprise to him. 

Katelyn let go and said, "How are you feeling? Do you like seeing?"

Aaron narrowed his eyebrows. Do you like seeing? He thought. What kind of question is that? Something fishy was definitely going on with her.