Chapter 2

Ava's POV

I sat on the chair directly opposite Mr. Hunt and started taking small bites of my breakfast.
I had to prepare my own meals everyday. Sure there were maids around for everything. But I didn't have that privilege of ready meals like them. He didn't leave any chance to make me feel like the dirt under his shoe. It was nothing like the life I had back in Italy. There was no love, no affection, no comfort and especially no security. Back in Italy, my brothers cherished me, spoiled me. I had my family wrapped around my little fingers.

I remembered how Lorenzo would wake me up every morning and take me downstairs to the dinning hall, where breakfast was always ready and served. Fights with Matteo over chocolate dips never ended without me winning and him ending up getting smacked by Romeo. Dante being Dante, he would always shake his head looking at our childish antics and share his portion with Matteo to calm him. He was always so caring. Marco was the silent fox. He never bothered getting involved in my fights with Matteo but would sneakily steal from both of us while we were busy glaring and pulling each other's hairs. Enzo would just eat his breakfast ignoring all the ruckus like the mature older brother he was.
And our parents, too lost into their own lovey-dovey world to care about our bickering.
Only thing that would snap them out of their fantasy land was me wailing.
One cry and everyone would freeze, soon rushing to my side.

Oh boy, and did I play dirty...

I never had much appetite around Hunt. About 15 minutes later, Arthur came downstairs and sat on his usual chair, which was to the right of his father's.

"Good morning, Dad."
"Morning, son.", Mr. Hunt grumbled.

Someone's in a horrible mood.

Arthur didn't seem to mind his father's response.
"Morning, sweetheart", he said, smiling wickedly at me.
I shivered and kept my head low.
To my relief, Mr. Hunt started discussing business with him. I blocked out their conversation and continued with my breakfast.
This was how my day started for as long as I remember. Dull and usually on the edge. For years I lived with these two men who snatched away my family, my childhood, my freedom. They lived in the satisfaction of watching me suffer through it all. Hatred and resentment had filled my heart since the day I realised their truth.

With all those thoughts, I subconsciously gritted my teeth and dug my fork harder against the plate.

Someone yelling my name made me look up. Mr. Hunt and his son were staring at me expectantly.
They didn't seem to have noticed my foul mood. Thank goodness to that. I didn't need another 'lesson' to start my day with.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Hunt?"
"Dad hates to repeat himself. How many more whippings would it take to get such a small thing into that thick skull of yours?", Arthur said with his jaw clenched.
I bit my trembling lip at the mention of one of my punishments.
"Meet me in my study as soon as you finish up. Do not make me wait", he growled with annoyance.
I nodded in defeat.
"Words!"
I flinched at his tone. "Yes, sir."
"Dumb bitch." I heard Arthur mutter to himself.
They both finished up their breakfast and retreated to do their business, leaving me alone at the table.
I let out a sigh of relief.

His study.

I remembered the first time I was there.

13 years ago

"This is your permanent residence."

Tears welled up in my eyes as soon as his words registered in my mind. I was sitting in his study with my head lowered and eyes staring at my hands which rested on my lap.

"You will be homeschooled and the maids will teach you all the chores that are to be done in the house. I want straight 'A's in all the subjects. You will not be allowed out of this mansion. You will not be allowed to have any contact with anyone except Martha, myself and my son Arthur. You will be obedient and disciplined. I would not tolerate mistakes. If made any, they would lead to punishments. And trust me, you don't want that. Never lie to me. Never question me. And most certainly, don't ever disrespect me."
I clenched my teeth and balled my fists as anger boiled up inside me.

"No!", I gritted.
"No?", he repeated with disbelief and slight amusement.

"Who you to order me? Not my Papa! I never listen to you! Never! Why me here? I want Papa! You kill my Mama? Why?!" I screamed in my 5 year old broken English with as much courage as I could muster.

Tears started flowing down my cheeks as I yelled at the man in front of me.

"Enough!", he shouted loudly, making me jump in my chair.
"This was the first and the last time you disrespect me, you insolent brat. And to answer your questions, I may not be Your father but I own this mansion and everything else in this damn State! So don't you dare to defy me, sitting under My roof and under My rule. You are here because of the whore that you used to call mother. You are here to pay for her mistakes. And she is dead because of the wrong choices she made. As easy as it was to kill her you see, I can do the same thing to the rest of your family", he said wickedly.
"Keep that in mind before you even think of disobeying me. Do you understand?"
I clenched my eyes shut, crying silently.
"Answer me with words! Do you understand?" his voice boomed.

"Y-Yes", I replied, shaking uncontrollably.
"Yes, what?"
"Y-Yes, sir."

"Now go to your room. Martha will call you for lunch and then explain the rules while giving a tour of the house. You will be homeschooled beginning tomorrow. Your necessities will be provided shortly. Do not try to run. It will do you no good since the mansion is surrounded by guards. Is that clear?"

"Y-Yes, sir."
"Now, get the fuck out of my sight."

Wasting no time, I got up quickly, left the study and ran out in search of the room I stayed in the night before. When I couldn't find it, exhausted, I opened the next door that came into my sight. Closing the door shut, I jumped on the bed face down and started sobbing in the sheets.
I hated that man. I hated Christopher Hunt.

Where are you Papa? Enzo? Dante, Romeo, Marco, Matt, anyone?!

I cried myself to sleep.