Chapter XXI

Adira

The six of them sat in the living room, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Lycans. The rose-gold knife sat quietly on the coffee table. Every couple of seconds, one of them would reach for it, before dropping it back onto its place. Adira double-checked her knives in her holsters. She squeezed Adrian's hand as she gnawed on her lower lip. Where were they? 

The afternoon sun had disappeared into the purple twilight. There was no moon today, only a faint spattering of stars. Crickets performed their orchestra in the woods. The room was empty, filled with invisible tension. Cassie was seated in the middle of the couch. She hadn't said a word since they had filled her in. Her claws had lengthened, and she was nonchalantly sharpening them with a double-edged knife. As far as Adira could tell, she had four more knives strapped somewhere on her body. All pack members had been ordered to stay in their homes for the entire day. They had complied, though many were confused and unwilling. Against his better judgment, Adrian had not assembled the warriors. He did not want to antagonize the Lycans further. Besides, if they truly wanted to fight, an army would do the pack no good.

A sudden whoosh of air fluttered the curtains, and then suddenly there were three Lycans in their living room.

Adira heard Cassie's breath catch as she stared at her mate in all his glory. He was truly beautiful. His blonde hair shone in the white light of the living room. His features were sharp, looking like they were carved from stone. Though he made Adira want to run, he appeared kinder than his companions. Benevolent. Majestic.

He appeared to be drinking Cassie in, the same way she was unable to tear her gaze away from him. He took half a step towards the sofa, but then Cassie retreated, guarding herself. Her eyes froze, cold and unwelcoming. Confused and unhappy, Drystan assumed his original position, occasionally glancing at his mate. 

Again, Adira broke the silence, "Would you like some water?" Her politeness made Amricus and Drystan smile, though Kaifa appeared unimpressed. 

"May we -" Drystan paused and cleared his throat, "-sit?" He gestured towards the seats they had arranged in front of the sofa. Adrian nodded. 

Kaifa hmphed before sitting in her seat like a pouty child. "This is ridiculous. Why are we asking for permission? All wolf land belongs to us." Drystan shot her a look and she rolled her eyes. 

He started, "Hello, I am Drystan, the Alpha Optimus. I know you have already met, but this is my younger sister, who has stood in my stead as the Alpha Optimus, and her mate. Amricus told us you would be more comfortable meeting us here. Considering last time's events -" He shot Kaifa another dark look, "-we would not want you to feel trapped." He smiled easily, crinkling his laugh lines. Adira took an immediate liking to him. "Also, you can keep the knife inside, we aren't going to attack. Besides, honestly, it wouldn't do much damage to me. I get the message though, loud and clear." He raised his hand in mock-surrender, grinning quietly.

Sebastian chuckled loudly, breaking the awkward tension. Adrian grinned and sheathed the knife placing it next to him, still easily in reach. Adira let out the breath she was holding.

Unfortunately, any ground that Drystan had gained, Kaifa seemed determined to destroy. She spoke haughtily, "Enough of this nonsense. I hate being outside the Castle. Amricus, grab the girl and let's go back. When these wolves have learned their lesson, you can bring them to the Castle for this little meeting. Honestly, I wouldn't mind leaving Cassandra here either, but she is the queen and she must be protected. But my god girl, you are filthy. Why are your clothes in this horrible state?"

Amor and Adira tensed, moving slightly to guard Cassie, who sat between them. Eden and Sebastian lengthened their claws, looking at Adrian for direction. Adrian unsheathed the knife, alert and ready. Drystan digested the new developments with a thoughtful face.