Chapter XXXVIII

Adira

"Ow!" Adira winced as another pebble hit her forehead. Instinctively, her eyes opened to a sea of black. Blindfold. Right.

"Adira, picture it! Hear the wind flowing. Concentrate!" Cassie urged from her left. 

"I'm trying!" Adira growled in frustration, ripping off her blindfold. "It just won't come to me. The tracking doesn't work like this!" 

Adira sighed as her eyes sought Kaifa's afraid to see her disappointment. "Sorry."

She merely smiled. "You're not offensive in nature, therefore your power rebels against being used to fight. You'll get there. Close your eyes."

Adira shut her eyes with a grunt.

"Hear the wind. Take a deep breath. Feel it go to your lungs, feel it as you let it out. Hear the chirping of the crickets. Does it sound different from home?"

Adira devoted all her energy to her surroundings, trying to use her comparatively dull senses to distinguish the noises. They were miles away from home, camping in the forest that housed the Eastwood pack. Tomorrow they'd cover the distance, and be at the pack by evening. Adira shivered at the reminder. She couldn't tell if it was due to fear or anticipation. 

Another pebble knocked on her head and she inwardly cursed. Then she sighed again, "Can we just take a break? Hiking through the forest has tired me out."

Kaifa snorted. "I carried you half-way."

Adira stuck her tongue out at her. She leaned back on her arms, looking at the black sky glittering with stars. The campfire provided her warmth, and she pulled her log towards it. The wind blew, causing the fire to flicker, and the clouds began to fill the sky.

"Isn't it beautiful?"

"It is" Adira murmured, answering Kaifa. "I've never seen so many stars. when my grandmother was alive, we would stargaze often. Somehow the stars always came alive in her presence, filling the sky even if it were empty minutes before. As if they were honouring he-"

"Shut up," Cassie spoke, lifting a hand towards Adira. 

Adira turned to her, mostly surprised and a little bit insulted. "Wha-"

Cassie's hand shook again and Adira fell silent turning to Kaifa to see if she could make any sense of Cassie, but stopped when she noticed that the Lycan also seemed to be listening attentively. 

Adira tensed, her hand going to her knife as she looked into the forest.

"Duck, " Kaifa whispered. 

Adira turned to her, startled and confused. "What did you sa-"

She stopped abruptly as Cassie tackled her into the ground, the rocks pricking her back through her t-shirt. Adira's breath got knocked out of her body. 

She opened her eyes just in time to see a spear go through the air, exactly where her head had previously been. She took in a ragged breath, standing up as Cassie moved away.

The three of them, turned towards the forest with their backs to each other, waiting, slowly moving towards their weapons.

The crickets chirped.

The air breezed through Adira's hair.

Cassie picked up her knives just as Kaifa sheathed her sword. 

A frog croaked.

Then, another spear flew through the air. This time, Kaifa lifted her hand, and it changed directions flying towards her. She caught it mid-air, crouching offensively with the weapon.