Chapter XXXV

Cassie

Cassie woke to the quiet chirps of the crickets, tangled up in sheets. A quick glance at the clock - 4 am - she rolled over, burying her head in the soft pillows, trying to get more sleep. But her mind was awake and buzzing, and she knew it would be impossible.

The fight was today. 

She stood up, walking to the window looking at the still full moon. It seemed to shine brighter tonight, and it gave her strength. 

She could very well die today. 

If she were to, Cassie had no regrets. She had lived a good life, loving fiercely and deep, giving it all that she had. She couldn't find it in herself to regret anything...except perhaps, Drystan. Cassie had promised him, she had sworn over and over, that if she was losing, if they knew the battle was over, she would surrender into their custody. She would be captive, but she would be alive. And Drystan had sworn back to her, that he would find her, and break the rules of war, to get her back to him. 

Not for the first time, Cassie wondered if she was capable of keeping her promise. If she had it in her to break her own code. 

But, she mused, if anybody could make her change her stubborn nature, it would be her mate. Her beautiful, wonderful mate. Who she definitely did not deserve. Cassie had done things she was not proud of, she had broken some hearts that were better left untouched. She sullied everything she ever loved. And she would love Drystan, that she knew. She was very close. Just standing on the cliff edge. One push, one fall; and she would never recover. But, she would ruin him, because that's what she did. And, she would not survive knowing that she had. Yet, Cassie found herself unwilling to run from him. She wanted him, she wanted to see where this could go, see what they could be.

So she would run, if needed. Because Drystan didn't deserve her darkness. 

The curtain fluttered in the breeze, brushing against her skin, breaking Cassie out of her thoughts. 

Today was the day. 

She needed to be prepared. She needed to make it out alive.
---
The sweltering heat of the morning sun caused beads of sweat to appear on her forehead. A trickle of sweat ran down her back. The field before her was not large, and completely surrounded by a dense forest.  She took a deep breath, as she stood on one edge of the field. She saw another wolf appear on the opposite edge, but the direction of the wind ensured that she couldn't scent them.

Seemingly casual she turned to Drystan, who stood rigidly next to her. "I'm going to be fine, I promise."

Drystan nodded woodenly, before turning towards her and channeling the full force of his scorching grey eyes, which had once belonged to her. "Remember your promise."

Cassie stared at him, unseeing. 

 "Please," he pleaded. 

She broke, nodding profusely, trying to keep from crying. 

The wind blew her hair off her face, and Cassie scented the other wolves. Was tha-?

Suddenly, the air beside her twisted slightly, and she was surrounded by the four people she loved more than anything. She turned just in time to see Amricus leave again.

Before Cassie could do anything more than smile, Amor had enveloped her into a fierce hug, squeezing her tightly. She pulled back her wet eyes meeting Cassie's. "You have to come back to us."