Chapter XXXIX

Adira

The second he came into her view, Adira ran and jumped, leaping into his arms and burying her face into his neck. Adrian laughed at her excitement, stepping backward to support her weight. She moved away, still in his arms, and cupped his face softly. "Baby."

Adrian's deep, dark eyes melted, and he kissed her deep on the mouth. 

"God, some of us are trying to walk here!" Cassie teased, casually hugging Adrian from behind Adira, and squishing her friend in between. 

"It's only been a day, " Amor noted with a twinkle in her eye, her straight black hair swaying prettily behind Adrian, her hand in Eden's. 

"Has my brother landed yet?" Kaifa cut in, still on edge. 

Adira straightened and stepped away from Adrian, just as he spoke. " Yeah, they should be her- Seb!" He half-screamed, seeing his friend leave the airport arrival gates. 

Sebastian grinned at the lot of them, his face stuffed with chips. 

"Attractive," Kaifa snorted. 

"I knew you were into me," Seb winked, causing a red blush to spread across Kaifa's skin, much to Adira's surprise. Interesting.

Cassie choked on air as her mate materialized in front of them. She blushed fiercely, refusing to look at him and turning to an amused Amor at once. 

Eden coughed loudly to hide a laugh.

Adira basked in the warmth of her family until Kaifa's words brought her back to reality. "We must leave at once. We'll lose the element of surprise if Lyracus learns of our arrival."

Cassie nodded, tugging on her own duffle pack. "Let's go to the forest."

---

Birds were chirping in the bright daylight as Adira stood in the forest, her hands fisted, trying her best to track Lyracus. She tried to pull at her gut and the golden threads of her mind, but her senses remained stagnant. 

Her shoulders slumped. "No dice."

Adrian squeezed her shoulders as Drystan spoke, "it's okay, Little Luna. Maybe Kaifa and I will run the length and breadth of the forest and catch his scent."

Adira slumped further, ridden with guilt. "I'm so sorry guy-"

"Oh for the love of the moon!" Cassie exploded, her hand tinkering on her waist. 

Adrian reacted instantly, pushing Adira behind him.

She looked at him confused, "What-"

Adrian only stared at Cassie. "Don't you dare, Cassie."

She shrugged, "it's the only way, Ade."

Her hand moved on her waist towards the hilt of her dagger, as Adira looked on, confused.

Cassie grabbed the hilt and Adrian snarled. Drystan growled in response.

Cassie looked on, unfazed. "Seb, get the Alpha."

Without question, Sebastian moved but was blocked by Eden.