Chapter 25

"Has that ever happened before?" Adair speaks to Landon in the hallway. I remain seated at the dining table after dismissing them. Although much of the wall that now separates us is made of glass, a heavy double-sided tapestry is hung as a visual barrier, blocking them from my view. Despite his attempt to keep his voice down, I hear Adair's question clearly.

"What?" There's hesitancy in Landon's response, and although I can't see him, I can picture his cautious expression.

"Her face went blank and she couldn't hear me. It was like she blacked out." Adair's annoyance at having to explain himself is palpable.

"Like she said, she's exhausted." Landon uses an indifferent tone and I cringe, anticipating Adair's reaction to being dismissed.

"It was as if she had no idea where she was, Landon." The anger creeps into Adair's voice slow and steady, but I can't shake the feeling it's masking something else.

"Fatigue is known to cause disorientation. You must have seen as much with the White Watch. I know your training is rigorous."

"I've seen plenty of fatigued soldiers," Adair snaps. "That's not what that was."

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" Landon asks, his voice getting louder. "You two seem to be awfully close these days." I fidget uncomfortably, caught off guard by the envy in his words. The last thing I need is more tension between the three of us.

"You're the one who knows her." Adair sounds calm all of sudden, and I can't tell if it's forced or if in some strange way he's appeased by Landon's jealousy. "I'm worried about her. Aren't you?" As his anger drops away, the underlying emotion becomes obvious.

I glance at the doorway, trying to make sense of my mood. I can't tell if I'm irritated with Adair for calling attention to the incident, or irritated with myself for finding the overt concern in his voice endearing.

Either way I've had enough.

I stand, the loud scraping of my chair on the marble floor halting any speech left in the hallway. It takes me only a few seconds to cross the room, and as I step into the ice archway leading to the hall I'm greeted with uncomfortable looks from both parties.

"Gentlemen," I say, glancing from one of them to the other. "I am not some fragile flower to tiptoe around. If you have concerns about my behavior you can bring them to me directly. Is that understood?"

"I don't have any concerns," Landon mumbles, not meeting my gaze but looking past me, his eyes training on an escape route from yet another uncomfortable interaction.

"Then you may go. I'll meet you in the second floor study for first lesson in twenty minutes," I tell him, shifting my attention to Adair as he hurries away.

Adair stands his ground, crossing his arms over his broad chest. Any initial discomfort at being overheard is no longer apparent in his stance or expression.

"What's the issue, Belmont?" I raise an eyebrow. Mimicking his stance, I'm aware of how unladylike I must appear.

"I thought you preferred we address each other by our first names in private." A smirk pulls at his lips, making me hate him a little.

"I'll call you by your first name when I'm not irritated with you."

"Then you'll never call me by my first name." The smirk evolves into a smile, a dimple etching itself into his left cheek. I try to hold onto my anger, finding it impossible.

"You're insufferable." A quiet laugh escapes me before I can stop it. Forcing my face to settle back into seriousness, I continue chastising him. "Any issue you may have with my behavior, I expect you to come to me first."