Chapter 28

"The barracks are over there, to your right," Adair tells me, making a wide sweeping gesture with his hand. I dutifully look in that direction, not hearing another word he says.

Although he originally asked for a few days to arrange this excursion, it seems he's had a change of heart. He showed up halfway through my morning lesson with Landon, insisting that the trip be made today. Still in shock over the prophecy, I didn't have the sense to argue with him. Now that it's too late, I realize I should have postponed this outing. My mind is somewhere else.

It's across the Border with someone else.

There's nothing to be done, I scold myself. This is important too. Try to pay attention.

I ride beside Adair atop Ki, his horse pacing so close to mine that our upper legs almost touch. Trying to focus on something tangible, I look down and count the inches between us, becoming transfixed by the shape of his leg and how it looks next to mine. Although my riding attire is royal and ornate, for the very first time it includes pants. Margret would never have allowed me to leave the confines of the castle in anything other than a dress; now there is no one to police my wardrobe. It would be unwise to push the boundaries too much, but I refuse to enter the encampment of my top military wearing some ridiculous, sparkly gown.

I look back up at the opening in the wood line, taking in row after row of what appear to be luxury tents. The heavily woven white fabric would blend in well with its snowy surroundings if the structures weren't so enormous. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. The setup is ... lavish. Something tells me the infantry men across the Border do not enjoy living conditions of this caliber.

There are a dozen military encampments stationed throughout the kingdom on both sides of the Border. The smallest of them belongs to the royally tasked White Watch and sits on castle grounds, stretching before us. If you were to view all royal land from the sky, as a bird would, you'd see that the castle is set right on the coast. My home is impossible to approach from the west, flanked by treacherous cliffs.

Travel south from the castle and you'll find Royal Port. This dock and harbor provide marine access to the property, but is utilized exclusively by military ships. Right now we stand about a mile inland of the docks.

"Do you ever stay out here?" I ask Adair, biting my tongue against the question I'd really like to ask. 

How much does this cost in upkeep? 

How many people could we feed across the Border with such funds?

"I have a bunk, but my quarters are in the castle. I've lived inside since I began training under my father to become your Watcher."

"When was that decided?" I ask, the truth creeping in like sunlight through the branches of the wood we travel. 

It was no coincidence the day he showed up in my room ready to escort me to the Mart, I realize.

It was his first assignment.

There had been more at stake that day than I knew. He had likely been trying to impress his capabilities as potential Watcher upon both Margret and Thane, and I unknowingly went out of my way to thwart his efforts. A pang of guilt tickles my side, but it's short-lived. I'd be lying if I said I regretted the way that day unfolded. Had I behaved differently, I may never have met Toryn.

The guilt solidifies, turning to anger the more I think on it. 

The entire thing was a setup—just another means of controlling me without my knowledge.

I glance over at Adair, realizing he hasn't answered my question. "Adair," I demand. "When was it decided that you would be my Watcher?"

"Over a year ago," he mumbles. I gape at him.