Chapter 37

I sit in stunned silence. All of the air in the room is trapped in my lungs, and for some reason I seem to have no means of expelling it.

No, I think. There must be some kind of mistake.

"Are you sure?" I ask him, my face twisting with confusion.

"Yes," he whispers. "I left just after it was done. They'll be swinging in the block as an example to the protesters for at least a week." I wait for him to go on, to provide some kind of an explanation. All he does is stand there, watching me.

"Adair, how?" I ask, my voice getting louder. "We voted in Tricouncil! How did this happen?" I look at him with disbelief, but it's anger that builds inside of me. His silence isn't helping, only causing me to believe he was complicit in the act.

"The protests became violent enough to be considered an act of war. Force was used as a means to control the Border for several days, to no avail. The Laoch made a call."

"The Laoch?" I spit, the word sounding like an accusation. I get off the bed, advancing on him. "You mean your father?" He closes his eyes and nods.

"Yes, obviously," he answers, with an undertone of exasperation. "He has the power to make timely decisions when it comes to securing the Border. You would know that if you had any military education."

"How dare you," I growl, seeing red. "How dare you throw that in my face. I have been asking for updates on this disturbance for weeks! Why was I not informed it had escalated to a level in which the murder of thirteen men was considered necessary?"

"If you had been informed you would have insisted on traveling there. I couldn't have you in that kind of danger." He takes a step away from me, like he knows what he's admitting to.

"You couldn't have me in that kind of danger?" My eyes flash at him. "You made that decision?"

"As your Watcher, yes. I made that decision." He stands his ground. "And I would do it again."

"I am the Queen!" I scream at him. "A king would take your head for such insubordination!" The door swings open, a deafening clang mixing with my shrill yelling.

I whip around to see a red-faced and sputtering Eva, her hands empty of the silver tea platter now lying on the floor. Amber liquid pools at her feet as she looks from me to Adair, her mouth hanging open. Her eyes rove over our state of undress, down to Adair's discarded boots and jacket.

"I'm so sorry, your Majesty," she breathes, her hands flying up to cover her mouth. "I didn't know you weren't alone, I—" She ends abruptly, unsure of what to say. "I don't mean to imply," she tries again, only to fail once more. "My goodness," she whispers, bending down to inspect the damage.

"Eva, please, no." I move to help, trying to discourage her from cleaning the mess. "There's broken glass, you'll cut yourself. Just leave it."

"I'm so sorry," she whispers to me, her usually rosy cheeks scarlet.

"It doesn't matter." I shake my head, trying to reassure her. As I'm taking one of her arms, meaning to help her stand, Adair storms past us through the open doorway.

† † †

I have to see Thane. I thought briefly of holding an emergency Tricouncil meeting, but that will come next. I want to hear what happened from the Laoch himself, as Adair was unable to properly articulate the chain of events that led to this catastrophe.

The Laoch is able to make tactical decisions without consulting Domhan's ruler in cases where time is sensitive; I already know that. Denying Thane that power would weaken the military considerably, but this was an issue that was already ruled upon. My denial of Tricouncil's request to execute those men without taking them to Trial was vehement, and that's a stance Thane originally supported. I need to know what changed.