Twenty Five: Distant Thunder

Marching through the Wyldes was very different with a whole army than it was under Uldur's group. 

For one, Baeleon did not care one bit how loud we were being. Apparently, nothing in the unclaimed Wyldes worried him. He also seemed fine with the idea of alerting DuVarick's forces as it would 'bring the old bastard out faster' in his opinion.

At least I was able to walk with Schula and Thain, but we drew a lot of attention. Everyone once in a while I would glance far back in the line where Spaulder and Nassir went relatively unnoticed or at least unbothered by those around them.

I sighed through my nose and Schula nudged me with her elbow.

"Jealous of our slowpokes back there?" she asked.

Looking over to Schula I could see a forest sprite behind her eyeing us curiously.

"Yes," I grumbled. "Have I ever told you I want to live in a cabin outside the city?"

The corners of Schula's mouth twitched upward. "What, away from all the close neighbors of Thanantholl?"

I rolled my eyes as she laughed. Even Thain looked amused.

"Don't you laugh at me too," I looked up at Thain. "At least you have a great big house you can retreat to with no prying eyes."

His lips twisted into a full on smile and he leaned down as we walked to whisper in my ear. 

"The house is big enough for two, whenever you want to get away." His breath tickled my ear, and my face flushed at his words.

"What are you harassing Wren with now?" 

I looked over to see Eberon joining us, fixing the cuff on his sleeve. 

"Where is Hellwind?" Schula asked.

"I tied him in with the other horses carrying supplies," Eberon said. "I thought he could use a break, and I was getting tired of the silent riders. Not a conversationalist among the lot of them."

"So you came to Thain?" Schula teased.

I caught my bottom lip between my teeth, holding back my amused expression.

"Thain doesn't need to be full of conversation to be good company." Eberon lifted his chin. "He's perfect just as he is."

"I love you too, Eberon," Thain mused. "Even if your horse came before your triquetram."

Now it was Eberon's turn to blush as Schula nearly choked laughing. Even I couldn't hold in my smile any longer.

"I don't have to defend myself to you lot," Everon huffed. "If you need me, I'll be at the front with King Baeleon."

Eberon picked up his walking pace and joined the cluster of strategists and warriors surrounding the Autumn king a little ways ahead.

"I shouldn't have teased him." Thain sighed. 

"He needs it sometimes," Schula said. "He spent the last three days with that horse after you two were parted for months!"

Thain shrugged. "We've been apart longer."

I looked over to Schula and reached for her hand, which she happily gave.

"I couldn't imagine that," I said.

"We'll probably be the same as them in a few centuries," Schula said. "But for now I'm with you. I couldn't imagine more than a few days apart."

A churning in my stomach started up as the knowledge surfaced again that I wouldn't live a human lifespan and I pushed it back down. That was a crisis for another day.