Chapter Forty Two: A Letter

My back was killing me when I woke up. 

You would think sleeping on blankets on a stone floor would be no different on the body than sleeping on a mat in the woods, but somehow it was worse. I even had to curl up with Schula just to keep from burning up in the night. It was no surprise that a dragon emitted a lot of heat, but coupled with the temperatures of the Summer lands, it was nearly unbearable.

Light seeped through the window coverings high above. Since we slept on the floor that would have otherwise been a stable, there were no windows here. Just the giant door that we used to get Spaulder in, and it was tight enough that light wasn't filtering through any cracks. I could see bits of dust and pollen that danced in the streaks of light, promising another blazing day in the Summer lands.

Only this time, I'm in the estate of the Summer queen.

Schula beside me was still asleep, likely exhausted from a long day. A long... year. Had it been a year? I suppose so.

I got up slowly, peeling myself away from Schula's pleasantly cool body and slipping away from my sleeping triquetram.

Up the ladder and into the loft, I went to a window and gently opened the shutters enough for me to see out. The fish pond was much the same as yesterday, with the exception of the curious figure who sat leaning against the willow tree, a fishing pole propped somewhat in his lap and the line cast into the water. I could not tell if he was awake or not, but I recognized him straight away. Weylyn.

The slim fae with the ginger hair and the sharp eyes looked as though he had been there for quite some time. It made me wonder who else was charged with watching our quarters, and I looked around the yard.

They weren't even trying to conceal themselves as Weylyn was. Or was he? It was hard to tell with that one. But the glimpses of shining golden armor were tucked behind buildings and in the shadows. I knew we would be watched, it made since. We weren't of this court, and for whatever reason Peyorla demanded we come and be judged. Of course they would have us watched.

Looking down on the path that wound around the fish pond, I saw a nymph dressed in reds and golds. Her clothes were very fine make, nothing you would wear to do work in. And yet, she carried a letter on a silver tray, her gloved hands with slender fingers held it as gently as you would a sleeping baby. 

I watched as the nymph, long silky black hair and watery green tones to her skin, stopped close enough to Weylyn to speak. I couldn't hear what she said, but their brief exchanged caused Weylyn to get up from his fishing spot and bow to her mockingly. Then, he strutted away toward the main house, fishing pole slung over his shoulder as if he had little better to do than stroll around for a new fishing hole.

The female shook her head after him, then turned back to her task and made her way to our door.

I sighed, closing the window fixture again and descended the ladder once more.

"Wake up, you two," I urged gently. "We have a guest."

Schula curled up even tighter, snuggling into the blankets on the floor. Spaulder huffed through his nose, turning to stretch as he got up.

'I can smell them all over the place,' Spaulder complained. 'How can anyone get any peace in such a crowded city?'

'Is it different here than Thanantholl?' I asked.

'At least those creatures did not smell of suspicion and disdain,' Spaulder grumbled.

A knock at the door interrupted my train of thought, and I went over to push the large door open just a crack.