2: Rich People Problems

Mt. Justice, March 26, 2010, 6:13 EST

The team all sat in a circle eating the dinner that M'gann had made them. Artemis was eating her food silently, glaring at it, like it had personally offended her. M'gann looked at Artemis. "What is the matter Artemis? Do you not like it?"

Artemis looked up in shock. She had been lost in thought, not realizing she was glaring daggers into her mashed potatoes. "Oh, no, it is delicious M'gann. I was just thinking..."

"What about?" Kaldur'ahm said, his calm voice.

She shook her head. "Just about the mission. Why do the five of us need to stop what we are doing to watch some bratty kid?"

At that Robin stiffened slightly, but didn't say anything. He watched the conversation unfold from his chair. "We do not know what this kid will be like Artemis. You don't know he will be a 'bratty kid'."

She shook her head and laughed. "Please, he lives with the Bruce Wayne, he goes to the most prestigious school there is. I mean, he has a butler for crying out loud. I bet he has never had to work for a thing in his life. He probably has the best life ever."

"You go to the same school as him don't you?" Wally asked. "That's why you are watching him at school?"

"Yes, Wally, I do, but not because I want to. I got a scholarship to go there, and my mom pretty much forced me to go. But that isn't the point. With Bruce Wayne as his dad, he just needs to ask daddy dearest for whatever it is he wants, and poof he has it. He is rich, why wouldn't he be a snotty little brat?"

Robin scowled softly. Being rich doesn't automatically make you happy. He wanted to say something, but he didn't know what he could say that wouldn't blow his cover, so he just stayed silent. "C'mon Artemis, having money doesn't mean you are automatically spoiled."

"Doesn't it? I mean, look at Bruce Wayne, he is a billionaire. He just buys whatever he wants. I bet he bought the kid. And then there is Oliver Queen. He is as spoiled as they come. Sure he was on an island alone for five years, but it doesn't mean anything. Nothing in his personality has changed really. He is still getting into trouble, and he can pay himself out of anything."

Wally nodded softly. She did have a point. Sort of. "Okay, well whatever. You might be right, maybe this Richard kid is spoiled. We will just have to wait and see. He couldn't have been raised too well if Bruce Wayne is his dad or whatever. By the way, what do you think his relationship with the kid is anyway? Like do you think it is biological, and he's some illegitimate love child of his?"

Artemis laughed. "Honestly, I would not be surprised. It is Bruce Wayne."

"I've got an idea, how about you ask him? I'm sure he would be thrilled to answer that question." Robin said, anger lacing his words. Everyone jumped when he spoke, having forgotten he was there. He stood up and walked away.

"Oh come on Robin. You don't need to get all pissy. It's not like you're him. Besides, you are lucky. You get to go to London while we are stuck on babysitting duty."

Robin waved her off. His shoulders were tense as he walked away. A faint Recognized Robin B01 could be heard. His plate of food had been left untouched. "He was very angry." M'gann had said.

"How can you tell?" Wally asked.

"The emotion was rolling off of him in waves. Anger, and... something else."

Kaldur'ahm looked at Artemis and Wally. "I do not think that is an appropriate topic to discuss. We have been asked to protect the young boy, not make him feel uncomfortable. Unless he brings it up, you will not discuss his relationship with Bruce Wayne. Now if you are done with your food, I suggest you make sure you are ready for tomorrow. Thank you for dinner M'gann, it was delicious."